Your favourite messenger

i forgot to say yahoo aswell because i've always used that,it's got a good layout like windows live.i dont like the other messengers layout.but i use windows live because all my contacts use that and i like having two email addresses+you make your own space so contacts can see your profile and you can see theirs.yahoo's got unlimited storage though.

I don't use any of those messengers except for Xfire, so I can talk while in game without having to alt tab to talk or make your game go to windowed mode :(

It kind of depends on what everyone else is using, doesn't it? I mean, if all your friends are on Yahoo!, then liking and using AIM would be kind of pointless, wouldn't it?

I prefer third party messengers myself. The official ones tend to be huge bloated ad(spy)waring beasts. Pidgin is a nice thing that lets me be on 5 networks for the price of one program instead of having to run 5x30MB monsters.

With the new yahoo you can instant message and add hotmail poeple,poeple who use windows messenger or msn which is the same thing but different version.Msn has changed aswell because With windows LIVE you can add poeple who don't have hotmail.

It kind of depends on what everyone else is using, doesn't it? I mean, if all your friends are on Yahoo!, then liking and using AIM would be kind of pointless, wouldn't it?

yeah thats true, the only reason i started with msn was cause all my friends had it, i have used aim and stuff but i reckon that there not as good as msn/windows live

I must be a real luddite - I have so far avoided using any of them. Email and the implied immediacy of that is enough for me.

hamas123 said:
Msn has changed aswell because With windows LIVE you can add poeple who don't have hotmail.
Uhm.. One has never needed a Hotmail account to use MSN or Windows Messenger. It's just a dirty Microsoft trick making people believe that.

microsoft are really wanting to be at the top,making the elite after they saw the ps3 and cooling systems for the xbox360.
But you can add yahoo! poeple,dunno about the others because i haven't tried other ones.

i used to use icq for years, and now my fave is skype, although it become not so comfortable as it used to be after the last updates :(

I don't really have a favourite. All the different ones I have tried have had thier own problems and nuances. I use windows live messenger, yahoo messenger, and occasionally skype. I basically use the ones all my friends use really.

aMSN. Since I'm on ubuntu. I love pidgin, but all my friends use msn messenger, and I really don't need to be on other networks.. therefore, I use aMSN mostly.

I've never heard of pidgin before, can you add msn poeple with it? ;)
I used to use yahoo and i like it, but my contacts use hotmail so i use windows live. But you can add msn poeple on yahoo.

I use Windows Live Messenger and have used MSN for years before that. I originally stared IM'ing my cousin in Hong Kong over Yahoo but he got a hotmail account so started using MSN so i did the same :D

I also have installed the MSN Plus add-on which adds loads of features :) (link should be right, i did it from memory ;))

Rik said:
I basically use the ones all my friends use really.
me too, i guess that's the point of using one or another messenger. there's no point in installing msn while only 3 friends of mine use it. skype is preferred in my worplace and in the last place i worked in we had to use Gaim. My parents prefer ICQ and most friends from my university has it, so i have it as well, cos i need to communicate with these people!

i must say i have plenty of contacts on icq and only the best friends and family on skype, so when i prefer not to talk to people i barely know, i turn off the icq, but the most close people still can find me.

Back