TechSpot

Your opinion on seagate and SSHDs

By gabars
Mar 20, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, last month I found out my hard drive was failing, now I'm looking to replace it. I want to know your opinions on Seagate, seagate SSHDs and SSHDs in general.

At my local computer parts store, I can get a seagate 2TB/8G SSHD (ST2000DX001) for 129$ or a Western Digital Black 2TB 7800rpm HDD (WD2003FZEX) for 169$. Same prices as newegg.ca, but no shipping.

My personal experience with Seagate is not very good, I've had 2 or 3 seagate barracuda drives in different computers. I can't prove they failed like the one I have right now (see this thread) because I don't have them anymore, but the symptoms were pretty much the same, all after about a year of use. I heard of a lawsuit against them for high failure rates in barracuda drives, so my experience might not represent all seagate drives.

Right now, I'm using a 10+ year old WD drive that has seen probably 4+ years of use to store large games that crash / cause BSODs when they're stored on my main seagate HDD, so that's a big plus on WD's side, but that's the only WD drive I ever owned, so it's not very fair.

For a gaming system, would you go with the seagate SSHD or the WD HDD? The WD has a 5 year manufacturer warranty, the seagate doesn't seem to have one. I can / probably will get the 3 year direct replacement from the store for 20$.

2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,657   +309

Personal opinion, mechanical HDD are more trouble over a 10 year period than electronic SSD. You might want to put your money into a smaller SSD and then add another as you fill that up.

Other than that, I usually pick the HDD with the longest warranty and the biggest discount. Big discount implies some history on that specific model. I check reviews at NewEgg and Amazon - to stay away from drives with issues.

Good luck!

3. Mechanical for storage SSD for working etc but anyone who wastes money on anything less than a Samsung SSD is throwing money away I have four machines running all have Samsungs in them and NEVER a problem and Samsung are the Only Manufacturer that backs their SSD drives with a decent warranty I have all Pro drives and yes they cost but they also have a 10 year warranty

4. gabars

gabars TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

Thank you for your suggestions, but SSDs are not an option right now. I want to clone my partition, so I need a 2TB drive or more. I have an upgraded license of windows 10, so replacing hardware is touchy and I'd rather not reinstall unless I have to. Money is too tight to buy a SSD and a HDD, and it wouldn't make sense anyway because all I have is games.

I've been told not to trust newegg reviews, because seagate sells more hard drives, so more fail, and more people write bad reviews. I think I'll give seagate another try and get the SSHD with a 3 year direct replacement.

5. Cycloid Torus

Why not use cloud for a disk image? Crash Plan, Mozy, etc. A few bucks @month. Offsite.

6. gabars

gabars TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

That's what I was planning to do, using my current drive as a backup in case the SSHD fails even harder than my barracuda :p

7. HardReset

HardReset TS Addict Posts: 248   +79

I have no problems with Seagate. That lawsuit is based on Backblaze's statistics and Backblaze's statistics are totally unreliable so no chance that lawsuit can be success.

What I have heard, Samsung's warranty does not apply to 840 slowdown problem. If that still holds true, Samsung's warranty sucks big time.

8. Cycloid Torus

I don't have any real problems with Seagate either - just that I have two barracuda's (which served for the full period of the warranty before they glitched - didn't quite die, but are geriatric), one dead maxtor and 6 working WDs (all but 2 are out of warranty).

9. Really? well I have news for you I have 1 x 830 Pro 128Gb still working fast enough not to worry, 2 x 840 Pro 128Gb and 1 x a 840 Evo (tried it out just for testing for customers) a 840 Pro 256Gb waiting on me having a good day to build it in to my last machine and 50 plus customers with mainly 840 Pro drives of various sizes and none have ever phoned complaining and I promise you they would even though I have retired.

I don't rely on "Article's" or other people I rely on personal experience and Knowledge. Which reminds me I don't know why I bother coming here, after all I have only been building computers since 1995 retiring last year WTF do I know.

Tell ya what if a Admin reads this do me a favour delete my account I cannot be bothered with the hassle. and lob me a email to confirm.