Your opinion on seagate and SSHDs

gabars

Hi, last month I found out my hard drive was failing, now I'm looking to replace it. I want to know your opinions on Seagate, seagate SSHDs and SSHDs in general.

At my local computer parts store, I can get a seagate 2TB/8G SSHD (ST2000DX001) for 129$ or a Western Digital Black 2TB 7800rpm HDD (WD2003FZEX) for 169$. Same prices as newegg.ca, but no shipping.

My personal experience with Seagate is not very good, I've had 2 or 3 seagate barracuda drives in different computers. I can't prove they failed like the one I have right now (see this thread) because I don't have them anymore, but the symptoms were pretty much the same, all after about a year of use. I heard of a lawsuit against them for high failure rates in barracuda drives, so my experience might not represent all seagate drives.

Right now, I'm using a 10+ year old WD drive that has seen probably 4+ years of use to store large games that crash / cause BSODs when they're stored on my main seagate HDD, so that's a big plus on WD's side, but that's the only WD drive I ever owned, so it's not very fair.

For a gaming system, would you go with the seagate SSHD or the WD HDD? The WD has a 5 year manufacturer warranty, the seagate doesn't seem to have one. I can / probably will get the 3 year direct replacement from the store for 20$.

Personal opinion, mechanical HDD are more trouble over a 10 year period than electronic SSD. You might want to put your money into a smaller SSD and then add another as you fill that up.

Other than that, I usually pick the HDD with the longest warranty and the biggest discount. Big discount implies some history on that specific model. I check reviews at NewEgg and Amazon - to stay away from drives with issues.

Good luck!

Mechanical for storage SSD for working etc but anyone who wastes money on anything less than a Samsung SSD is throwing money away I have four machines running all have Samsungs in them and NEVER a problem and Samsung are the Only Manufacturer that backs their SSD drives with a decent warranty I have all Pro drives and yes they cost but they also have a 10 year warranty

Thank you for your suggestions, but SSDs are not an option right now. I want to clone my partition, so I need a 2TB drive or more. I have an upgraded license of windows 10, so replacing hardware is touchy and I'd rather not reinstall unless I have to. Money is too tight to buy a SSD and a HDD, and it wouldn't make sense anyway because all I have is games.

I've been told not to trust newegg reviews, because seagate sells more hard drives, so more fail, and more people write bad reviews. I think I'll give seagate another try and get the SSHD with a 3 year direct replacement.

That's what I was planning to do, using my current drive as a backup in case the SSHD fails even harder than my barracuda :p

I have no problems with Seagate. That lawsuit is based on Backblaze's statistics and Backblaze's statistics are totally unreliable so no chance that lawsuit can be success.

Mechanical for storage SSD for working etc but anyone who wastes money on anything less than a Samsung SSD is throwing money away I have four machines running all have Samsungs in them and NEVER a problem and Samsung are the Only Manufacturer that backs their SSD drives with a decent warranty I have all Pro drives and yes they cost but they also have a 10 year warranty

What I have heard, Samsung's warranty does not apply to 840 slowdown problem. If that still holds true, Samsung's warranty sucks big time.

I don't have any real problems with Seagate either - just that I have two barracuda's (which served for the full period of the warranty before they glitched - didn't quite die, but are geriatric), one dead maxtor and 6 working WDs (all but 2 are out of warranty).

I have no problems with Seagate. That lawsuit is based on Backblaze's statistics and Backblaze's statistics are totally unreliable so no chance that lawsuit can be success.

What I have heard, Samsung's warranty does not apply to 840 slowdown problem. If that still holds true, Samsung's warranty sucks big time.

Really? well I have news for you I have 1 x 830 Pro 128Gb still working fast enough not to worry, 2 x 840 Pro 128Gb and 1 x a 840 Evo (tried it out just for testing for customers) a 840 Pro 256Gb waiting on me having a good day to build it in to my last machine and 50 plus customers with mainly 840 Pro drives of various sizes and none have ever phoned complaining and I promise you they would even though I have retired.

I don't rely on "Article's" or other people I rely on personal experience and Knowledge. Which reminds me I don't know why I bother coming here, after all I have only been building computers since 1995 retiring last year WTF do I know.

Tell ya what if a Admin reads this do me a favour delete my account I cannot be bothered with the hassle. and lob me a email to confirm.

Back