Your top recommended motherboards?

By ingeborgdot
Feb 21, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just got done building two computers using the C2D 6400. I used the Asus P5B-E and was not overly impressed. I hated the bios and its looks. It had a problem with any overclocking at all and some of it's own software messed it up. Anyone care to lead me to another board that you would recommend?
  2. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,198

Dell, HP or Gateway. ;)
  3. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 753

Buying those pieces of crap would really be great wouldn't it. Why anyone would buy cheap stuff like this always makes me wonder.
  4. foozy

foozy Newcomer, in training Posts: 267

Have you worked with Gigabyte much? A lot of people swear by them.
  5. nickslick74

nickslick74 Newcomer, in training Posts: 883

6. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

I have to say, Asus(tek) makes good quality motherboards. I have only had a minor issue with my integrated Nic card on my current mobo, and that's it.
  7. ingeborgdot

Anyone know about this board form intel?

975XBX2KR 975X 775 ATX Motherboard
  8. ingeborgdot

I have narrowed it down to the gigabyte DQ6 or the Abit AW9D-Max. Any info that you know about either of these boards would be appreciated. Thanks
  9. aman501

aman501 Newcomer, in training Posts: 46

From what I've read the AW9D-Max is supposed to be pretty sweet. The eVGA 680i, though some people think is overkill, offers a lot of future upgrade room (quad-core support anyone?) plus at newegg its the same price as aw9d-max after rebate.
  10. Bluemouse

Bluemouse Newcomer, in training Posts: 405

Asus may make decent mobos, but their tech support is virtually nonexistent, and you have to call long distance to get an RMA :S
  11. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

I wouldn't know about that, because I have been EXTREMELY lucky with ASUS and everything has always worked as (or better than) expected... coughN6800TDcough.

12. Grafficks

Grafficks Newcomer, in training Posts: 454

I've read quite a bit on the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6. It is certainly very feature-rich, with quad-core support, eight SATA ports, dual PCI-E, etc.
    The interesting thing is its unique approach to dual-videocard support. The 965P chipset doesn't support dual-graphics cards, so Gigabyte decides to use four PCI-E lanes from the ICH8R southbridge for its second PCI-E slot. Most dual PCI-E motherboards split the single PCI-E x16 in the northbridge into two x8 PCI-E slots for more balanced support. Gigabyte cleverly finds a way to have dual x16 PCI-E on a 965P chipset. Such a clever idea from Gigabyte deserves credit.

Hope this helps your decision.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.