YouTube Red's first batch of original content debuts February 10

Shawn Knight

Staff member

YouTube has revealed that its first block of original content will be published on February 10 exclusively for YouTube Red subscribers. Here's what you can expect come next week.

Scared PewDiePie from the creator and executive producers of The Walking Dead is a "reality-adventure" series that pits YouTube star PewDiePie in the middle of terrifying situations inspired by his favorite video games. The series sounds a bit like a glorified Fear Factor without the competition aspect.

A Trip to Unicorn Island is a documentary that follows the life of YouTube personality Lilly Singh as she embarks on a 26-city global tour in which she spreads her message that happiness is the only thing worth fighting for.

Dance Camp is a teen musical from AwesomenessTV. The movie follows a young teen that gets sent to a summer dance camp seemingly against his will. Soon enough, he gets wrapped up in the excitement and joins a dance crew intent on challenging for the Legends of Dance crown.

Last but not least is Lazer Team, a full-length sci-fi action-comedy from the teams at Rooster Teeth and Fullscreen Films. In it, four small-town losers discover a UFO crash site complete with battle suits. After trying the gear on, they realize the suits have genetically bound themselves to the unlikely heroes. Now, they're tasked with defending our planet from an angry alien race.

As you'd expect, YouTube's first batch of original content plays to its younger audience. Whether or not it'll be enough to help drive Red subscriptions, however, remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

I saw Lazer Team in theaters, I say it's worth using the 30-day trial of YouTube Red so you can see it. It a great call back to 80s sci-fi movies.

Sorta all looks like crap to me. If this is all their debut contains, they definitely can't compete with Netflix (which if I remember was a goal?).

Looking at all this crap, I'm sure glad I didn't fall for this YouTube Red scam. I would cringe, if not explode and cancel my sub immediately if I had to pay for content like this. I wouldn't watch this garbage even if Google paid me to... OK, so maybe not, but I'd demand a fortune.

..YouTube's first batch of original content plays to its younger audience.

Young people the world over should be insulted by this.

Back