TechSpot

YouTube revenue in the billions, accounts for less than 10 percent of Google's income

By Shawn Knight
Jul 8, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. YouTube is by far the most popular user-generated video site on the web but according to a new report, the Google-owned property isn't making near as much money as some analysts had hoped for.

Read more
  2. davislane1

davislane1 TS Guru Posts: 1,303   +477

Not bad for a free video streaming site. I take it Ad Block is having a tough time fighting Google/YT algos.
  3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,232   +79

As long as they don't put more comercials between videos...
  4. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 545   +101

AdBlock works fine on You Tube. They have now taken to putting these little sliding ads in the video area that it wont block, but they aren't that obtrusive.
  5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,929   +898

Haha xD.

Crazy how billions of dollars only accounts for 10% of googles profits... Shows how much money they make -_- and it's kind of scary.
  6. tomkaten

tomkaten TS Enthusiast Posts: 84   +28

It's funny how 1.5 billion is "cheap change", yeah. I don't think any company in my country is that profitable. As long as it's bringing in money, it's all good though. No reason to shut it down anytime soon.
  7. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,426   +217

Don't confuse a company's revenue with their profits. Those are two different things. People sometimes seem to use them interchangeably but they shouldn't.

@tomkaten, I think the expression you want is "chump change."
    davislane1 likes this.
  8. tomkaten

tomkaten TS Enthusiast Posts: 84   +28

Mailpup, true... I think I was aiming for "small change" though :))
  9. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 543

Its a common misconception but its not Google that put adverse in middle of YouTube videos its the uploaders themselves you can have an advert evert 8 mins and you as the uploder have to type the timestamps you want ads placed in.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.