YouTube will block indie labels that don't sign up for their new music service

Shawn Knight

Staff member

youtube music streaming music youtube music pass music pass

It’s no secret that YouTube is set to be the next major company to launch a paid streaming music service. It seems like a solid fit as the site already plays host to millions of videos from artists signed with major and independent labels all around the globe but of course, it's never that easy.

Unfortunately, this outlet of free music from independent labels is likely to come crashing down in the near future. According to a report from the Financial Times, Google is planning to block videos from labels that don’t sign licensing deals to be included in the new premium service once rumored to be called YouTube Music Pass.

If this comes to fruition, it would affect a number of big-name artists including Adele, Arctic Monkeys and Jack White. By all indications, the move is expected to take place within the next few days although the service won’t be rolling out quite that soon.

A spokesperson for YouTube told The Verge that their goal is to continue making YouTube an amazing music experience, both as a global platform for fans and artists to connect and as a revenue source for the music industry. As such, they are adding subscription-based features for music on YouTube with this in mind — to bring music partners new revenue streams in addition to the hundreds of millions of dollars YouTube already generates for them each year.

The spokesperson added that they are excited that hundreds of major and independent labels are already partnering with them.

Permalink to story.

Must say I don't use youtube much since the annoying ads. Stop wasting my time with ads I don't have the slightest bit of interest. I think they need to learn a lesson from the Horror Channel on satellite TV. On Sunday morning I watched a classic Doctor Who story and the ad breaks were put in place at the end of each episode. It is so rare to watch commercial TV with the breaks every 25 minutes. Too many channels have breaks within the last 10 minutes of a program!

YouTube should changed it's name to PaidTube! YouTube was just two guys who started the idea, sold it to the wrong people and now look at YouTube (cough, cough) PaidTube! I hardly use it only to find old song groups but soon that will be block as they are doing. Other ?Tube types out there also.

Must say I don't use youtube much since the annoying ads. Stop wasting my time with ads I don't have the slightest bit of interest. I think they need to learn a lesson from the Horror Channel on satellite TV. On Sunday morning I watched a classic Doctor Who story and the ad breaks were put in place at the end of each episode. It is so rare to watch commercial TV with the breaks every 25 minutes. Too many channels have breaks within the last 10 minutes of a program!

Use a browser that can run AdBlock. It will get rid of 99% of the ads.

I can't stress that enough myself. I don't understand why a lot of people don't use it yet they tend to be the biggest complainers about ad's, they must be masochists. It's the best invention since the internet itself.

AdBlock is pretty much a necessity to use YouTube these days, I turned it off the other day to see what YouTube was like with Ads. Needless to say, I didn't recognize the website anymore, it was just a swirl of Adverts in my face.

I cant stand youtube much longer. its not just google, which is bad enough in itself - its also the 80% of the users who are only there in laughable attempts to monetize. Its not about content to the users anymore, its about money.

I can't stress that enough myself. I don't understand why a lot of people don't use it yet they tend to be the biggest complainers about ad's, they must be masochists. It's the best invention since the internet itself.
Thanks. I will get Adblock

Wow, talk about strong arm tactics. Guess Google has given up even pretending to follow that "do no evil" mantra.

Ah well, this will just create a void that someone else will fill with a new service, and hopefully it yanks a ton of people away from YouTube. But, oh god, does this mean Myspace might make a comeback? I mean, it's all about music and artists these days, I guess....

Back