Zone Alarm True Vector shutdown problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

I'm having a problem with Zone Alarm Pro's True Vector engine shutting down. I never know when it's going to happen and can't pin it down to any certain event. This happens six or eight times a day. I've check ZAP's support and forums and haven't found an answer that helps my problem. I've uninstalled/reinstalled several times and it didn't help. I've got the latest version available. I've run all the usual spyware/malware programs and also Hijack This doesn't show anything out of order, at least as far as I can see.

Anybody got any ideas?

Is windows firewall on too? If you have windows firewall enabled(I think it does it by default) and another firewall they can conflict with each other. If WF is enabled, try disabling it.

On Windows 2000 Pro/SP4 I used to have shutdown problems (long waits when trying to save user-settings).
Installing UPHClean from M$ solved it. (gone down from ca. 2 minutes to 5 seconds)
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/42257/42257.html

ZA problems can be avoided by shutting down ZA before shutting down Windows. Then restart your PC and check if it still does that. For that reason alone I won't let ZA get anywhere NEAR my PC. That Vector engine is quite a resource hogger as well.

vnf4ultra said:
Is windows firewall on too? If you have windows firewall enabled(I think it does it by default) and another firewall they can conflict with each other. If WF is enabled, try disabling it.
Windows firewall is shut down. ZAP shuts it down automatically when it installs.

realblackstuff said:
On Windows 2000 Pro/SP4 I used to have shutdown problems (long waits when trying to save user-settings).
Installing UPHClean from M$ solved it. (gone down from ca. 2 minutes to 5 seconds)
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/42257/42257.html

ZA problems can be avoided by shutting down ZA before shutting down Windows. Then restart your PC and check if it still does that. For that reason alone I won't let ZA get anywhere NEAR my PC. That Vector engine is quite a resource hogger as well.
I've done what you said, and installed the program in the link you provided and I'll see if that solves the problem. I may have mistated what is happening though. I believe you are thinking I have a shutdown problem. It's not Windows shut down that is the problem. ZAP just shuts down whenever it want's even when I'm not doing anything on the computer, Windows continues to run. I believe that I'm still protected, as I think ZAP shuts down all activity or it says it does, although I listen to streaming music all the time and it doesn't stop that at all when it shuts down. I usually don't even know that ZAP is shut down unless I'm at the comptuter doing something. Also, I don't see anything in Event Viewer about this, doesn't show anything happening.

I realised my mistake when I read the post again just now.

Get another Firewall, paid or free, you can't rely on a self-closing ZAP-app (sounds good LOL).
As it is the Pro version, you must have paid for it. Check for updates, or contact their helpline. Or ask for your money back.

Try this one: http://soho.sygate.com

realblackstuff said:
I realised my mistake when I read the post again just now.

Get another Firewall, paid or free, you can't rely on a self-closing ZAP-app (sounds good LOL).
As it is the Pro version, you must have paid for it. Check for updates, or contact their helpline. Or ask for your money back.

Try this one: http://soho.sygate.com
I did what you said nevertheless, and it hasn't shut down a single time since. Maybe just luck I don't know, but I think I'll stay with it a while longer and see what happens, especially since I did pay for it.

Also, I've tried Sygate and Agnitum already and came back to ZAP. I've had it for years and just gotten used to it I guess, but if it starts shutting down again, I'll have to do what you said and change.

Thanks for the help.

True vector problem sorted

boot you pc in safe mode (usually done by keying F8 after the beep when booting)
look for the Internet Logs folder (should be in c:\windows)
delete any files ending in .tmp .rdb or .ldb
reboot

should be sorted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back