TechSpot

Zune appears in Windows Explorer but...

By JesseM
Sep 17, 2007
  1. I followed this video how-to on accessing the Zune through Windows Explorer and everything worked fine at first. When I went into My Computer and opened my Zune (it showed up fine), everything appeared to work except if I tried to open, copy/paste, or drag and drop any file to or from my Zune it says "Access is Denied." I have Windows Vista. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,067   +169

3. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,289

This may be a dumb question, but are you trying to use your Zune as a portable HD when you say you can't drag and drop files? If so, I think that requires a registry hack to accomplish. I have read about it somewhere but not tried it on my Zune yet.

4. JesseM

JesseM TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 259

Tmagic650: Yes, I have installed the Zune software from the CD that came with the Zune (I assume it covers Vista).

halo71: Yes, I am trying to use my Zune as a portable HD. I succesfully accomplished the registry 'hack', and the Zune shows up in My Computer just like it should once completing the 'hack'. However, due to the "Access is Denied" dialogue, I cannot use the Zune as a portable HD.

Thank you both for your responses!

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,067   +169

Never trust drivers off a supplied CD. This package could have set on a shelf for 6 months or more before you bought it. Go to the Zune webpage and download and install the latest Vista drivers

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.