LimeWire X 5.5.11 Beta for Mac OS X
LimeWire is a file sharing program running on the Gnutella Network.
LimeWire is open standard software running on an open protocol, free for the public to use. LimeWire allows you to share any file such as .mp3s, .avis, .jpgs, .tiffs, etc. Limewire is written in Java, and will run on Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Sun, and other computing platforms.
* Ease of use - just install, run, and search
* Ability to search by artist, title, genre, or other metainformation
* Elegant multiple search tabbed interface
* "Swarm" downloads from multiple hosts help you get files faster
* iTunes integration for Mac and Windows users
* Unique "ultrapeer" technology reduces bandwidth requirements for most users
* Integrated chat
* Directly connect to a computer
* Browse host feature--even works through firewalls
* Added Bitzi metadata lookup
* International versions: Now available in many new languages
* Connects to the network using GWebCache, a distributed connection system
* Automatic local network searches for lightning-fast downloads
* Support for MAGNET links that allow you to click on web page links that access Gnutella
- Integrate Bittorrent.
- Require Java 1.5.
- Many, many behind-the-scenes changes to modularize the code. Nearly every
single source file was altered.
- Added support for reading metadata from files in Quicktime format.
- Added support for reading metadata from files in MPEG 1 & MPEG 2 format.
- Fixed editing MP3 files to not use 'unsynchronization', which caused Windows
Explorer to be unable to interpret the metadata.
- Move deleted files to the Recycle Bin on Windows and Trash on OSX.
- Display "&" instead '&", "'" instead of "'", and other fixes for
metadata if the metadata incorrectly contained these converted values.
- Begin all file or directory choosers in the last directory that was used,
instead of the current working directory.
- Added the ability to drop new files or folders on LimeWire and have LimeWire
ask if you want to share them.
- Added the ability to drag search results to the download table and have them
- Added the ability to drag files into the media player and have them added to
- Added the ability to drag magnet links, torrent files, and torrent links onto
LimeWire and have them start.
- Updated D&D to work on Linux.
- Fix to set the icon to an hourglass while a preview is being constructed after
double-clicking on a download-in-progress.
- Remove magnet protocol check from LimeWire launcher and put it in LimeWire.exe
- Allow the user to choose whether or not they want LimeWire to be their default
- Do not display hidden files in the library.
- Add a 'Search in Shared Files' searchbox into the library.
- Allow multiple hosts to blocked at once from search results.
- Fix to show that a download in 'Connecting...' status is really hitting more
hosts, by adding 'Connecting (tried ## hosts)' after 15 hosts are tried.
- Fix display of 'Length' and other formatted metadata values in tooltips and
filterboxes to show as 'HH:MM:SS' instead of a big number in seconds.
- Allow browse-host to work on yourself even if you're firewalled or in a
- Allow files resumed from the library to go to the proper directory for the
- Analyze all data files when starting to detect errors and ignore them, instead
of failing to startup.
- Fix many issues related to upload requests improperly being rejected.
- Improve security of OOB replies.
- Use a pool for deflater / inflater objects, reducing the amount of memory
required for initiating connections, sending/reading query replies with XML,
and sending/reading QRP tables.
- Re-enable the magnetmix button by default.
- Use the built-in XML parser instead of bundling an additional xerces parser.
- Fix scanning for stalled uploads to reduce the number of 'watchdog' objects
- Fix launching processes to display a message if the process failed to launch.
- Add support for binding to a specific IP address when creating outgoing
- Internationalize the popupmenu from the system tray.
- Force Windows icons to be refreshed when LimeWire takes a filetype association.
- Open a URL on Windows without requiring the "donotremove.htm" file.
- Launch a file on Windows using the default command, instead of forcing 'open'
- Skip over invalid characters when reading XML (from the network or from disk).
- Do not print [Fatal Error] or other such comments to the console when parsing
XML from the network.
- Update the About window.
- Remove LimeWire.exe from the Window's firewall exception list if it added
itself when LimeWire started.
- Optimize right-click menu on text fields to not require retrieving the
clipboard contents when determining if 'Paste' is available.
- Update the splash screen.
- Fix remembering the windows size, position & state so that if LimeWire is
maximized, it will start maximized during the next session (instead of
starting restored with a larger window).
- Optimize the tooltip in the statusbar bandwidth indicator to be lazily
- Disable renaming when multiple files are selected in the library.
- Optimize displaying icons of files in the library.
- Fix to allow renaming a file from CAPITALS to capitals (changing the case of
the file) on Windows.
- Re-organized the context menu in the library to offer better 'License' options
- Updated the Creative Commons Publish option into an easy-to-use wizard.
- Fix to not allow invalid directories to be typed into the per-media-type save
- Fix to prevent hitting page-up, page-down, etc.. from shifting the search
input panel left or right.
- Fix to prevent fields that aren't searchable from being displayed in the
search input panel.
- Update OSX DMG image & OSX Installer image.
- Use the correct locale for formatting numbers.
- Ignore internal errors when opening a filechooser.
- Added 'Refresh' option to context menu in library.
- Fix to hide the splash screen if a fatal error occurs during startup.
- Fix the LimeWire icon to have correct alpha transparencies and look good on
all versions of Windows.
- Fix saving the playlist to allow saving the existing name again.
- Optimize startup time by expanding themes on demand.
(Contributed by Johannes Blume)
- Fix an exception when changing the save location from or to the root directory
- Fixed run script on Linux / Unix.
- Fix a divide by 0 bug when reading FLAC metadata.
- Ignore internal HttpClient errors related to reading cookies.
- Fix expiration of QueryKeys.
- Optimize throughput of FW-FW transfers.
- Optimize IP whitelist / blacklist to allow a store/lookup of hundreds of
thousands of IPs in under a millisecond.
- Read a 'hostiles.txt' file that will auto-add to the blacklist each startup.
- Don't allow arbitrary errors when sending or reading UDP messages to close the
entire UDP socket.
- Optimized storage-space required for URNs (SHA1 hashes).
- Convert many things to an 'enum' for better type-safety.
- Prevent a socket connect with no timeout from potentially waiting forever.
- Optimize the collection of many small writes to a TCP socket into a single
- Fix reading with a read-throttle enabled to reduce massive CPU usage.
- Optimize events in the I/O thread so that events causing data to be
read/written will happen before the throttle is informed of time-elapsing,
allowing the data to be read/written faster.
- Optimize the I/O selector, allowing the selector to sleep until it knows
something is available.
- Fix NIOServerSocket to close all pending accepted sockets when the
ServerSocket is shutdown.
Alternatively you can download the latest stable version of this software.
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Receive a weekly update of our best features and tech news you don't want to miss: