Sylpheed runs on Unix-like systems such as Linux, BSD, and Mac OS X. It also supports Windows. Sylpheed uses GTK+ GUI toolkit. The newest version of Sylpheed works with GTK+ 2.4 or later (2.6 or later is recommended). Sylpheed is a free software distributed under the GNU GPL (the library part is GNU LGPL). You can freely use, modify and redistribute it under the license.
- Simple, beautiful, and well-polished user interface
- Comfortable operationality which is built in detail
- Well-organized, easy-to-understand configuration
- Lightweight operation
- High reliability
- Internationalization and Multilingualization support
- High-level Japanese processing
- Various protocols support
- Security features (GnuPG, SSL/TLSv1)
- Powerful filtering and search
- Junk mail control
- Flexible cooperation with external commands
- New features
- New message notification window was added.
- Icon theme feature was added.
- SSL certificate hostname is validated now (#167).
- PGP encrypt-to-self feature was added.
- The feature to save message as plain text was added.
- An option to the junk filter setting was added: 'Do not classify message as junk if sender is in the address book' (enabled by default) (#77)
- Safe mode (which does not load plug-ins) was added (--safe-mode).
- The existence of destination folders are checked when creating a filter rule.
- The recursion level is restricted up to 64 when scanning local mailbox (prevents infinite loop with symlink. Note: Linux automatically limits the symlink loop up to 40)
- The labels used in POP3 remote mailbox dialog was modified.
- POP3: do not disconnect immediately but send QUIT command on normal POP3 errors (prevents deleted messages appear again).
- Win32: socket connection timeout setting now works on Windows (Note: on Windows XP, maximum timeout value will be 21 seconds by default).
- Some non-standard Date header patterns are handled now.
- Win32: start menu shortcuts are translated.
- Quotation of forwarded messages is enabled for template now.
- When applying a template for a new message, current date is inserted with '%d'.
- When marking a message as junk and moving it to a junk folder, proper junk folder is selected instead of default one.
- Printing now prints all texts in messages, not only the first one.
- The HTML parser now supports
- An option to prefer HTML part in multipart/alternative was added (default: off).
- Compose window is raised when the external editor exits.
- The order of templates became stable.
- HTML mail is distinguished from other messages with attachments now (#89).
- 'Last 30 days' was added to the quick search menu.
- Attached images are rotated based on Exif orientation tag.
- Mac OS X support was improved.
- The Japanese manual was modified so that IE correctly detect its character encoding.
- The rightmost column of folder view and summary view became easier to resize.
- Appropriate columns of folder view, summary view, etc. are auto-expanded by window resize when using GTK+ 2.14 or later.
- The initial setup dialog is now resizable.
- Other changes
- Basque translation was added.
- Bugfixes of HTML display were made.
- Escaped special characters in HTML links are now properly unescaped (#120).
Apps similar to Sylpheed 3
Enjoy safe, fast and easy email, Mozilla-style. The Thunderbird email client includes intelligent spam filters, powerful search and customizable views.
Stay connected to your world with our most up-to-date e-mail and calendar tools.
Internet Mail is the software specifically designed for the Internet e-mail.