It is Free and Open Source Software, released under the LGPL, available for Windows and Linux. Minetest is developed by Perttu "celeron55" Ahola and a number of contributors.
Minetest is technically simple, stable and portable. It is lightweight enough to run on fairly old hardware. It currently runs playably on a laptop with Intel 945GM graphics. Though, as for the CPU, dualcore is recommended.
- Walk around, dig and build in an infinite voxel world (or boxel, as reddit calls it), and craft stuff from raw materials to help you along the way. We hope to add in some survival elements, but not much really exist ATM.
- Sinfully easy server-side modding API .
- Multiplayer support for tens of players, via servers hosted by users
- Voxel based dynamic lighting (quite similar to Minecraft; light up caves with torches)
- Almost infinite world and a fairly good map generator (limited to +-31000 blocks in all directions at the moment)
- Runs natively on Windows and Linux (C++ and Irrlicht. No Java.)
Extract the zip package somewhere. Run the executable found in the bin/ folder.
Note: Android version is in its early stages, so you can expect bugs.
- Add camera smoothing and cinematic mode (F8) (rubenwardy)
- Radius parameter for /deleteblocks here (SmallJoker)
- Save creative_mode and enable_damage setting for each world in world.mt (fz72)
- Configurable automatic texture scaling and filtering at load time. (Aaron Suen)
- Connect rails with connect_to_raillike and shorten the codes (SmallJoker)
- Clouds: Make cloud area radius settable in .conf (paramat)
- Added hour:minute format to time command (LeMagnesium)
- Add mod security (ShadowNinja)
- Add texture overriding (rubenwardy)
- Improved parallax mapping. Generate heightmaps on the fly. (RealBadAngel)
- Make attached objects visible in 3rd person view (est31)
- Remove textures vertical offset. Fix for area enabling parallax. (RealBadAngel)
- Add minimap feature (RealBadAngel, hmmmm, est31, paramat)
- Add new leaves style - simple (glasslike drawtype) (RealBadAngel)
- Add ability to specify coordinates for /spawnentity (Marcin)
- Add antialiasing UI setting (Mark Schreiber)
- Add wielded (and CAOs) shader (RealBadAngel)
- Add map limit config option (rubenwardy)