The following are features that really set it apart from all other file encryption tools, commercial as well as free:
- Double-click to edit/view with any application.
- Automatic re-encryption after modification.
- Absolutely no user configuration necessary or possible before use.
- Open source under GNU General Public License.
- 12 languages in one executable distribution.
- Extensive command-line interface for scripting and programming.
- Windows 2003/XP/Vista/2008/7 32- and 64-bit compatible.
- AES encryption with 128-bit keys.
- Edit an encrypted document directly with double-click.
- Optional pass phrase cache - type pass phrases once per logon and/or reboot.
- Automatic pass phrase validation before decryption or editing.
- Key-File generation and support.
- No options or user interface - easy to install and use.
- Relatively light-weight, less than 1Mb download
- Extensive command-line interface.
- Server mode options.
- Support for files larger than 4GB (except for self-decrypting files).
- Dynamic brute force counter measure - iterative key wrapping.
- Integrates well with web based file sharing services.
- Selective compression before encryption - faster downloads/uploads.
- Retains original file name and information of an encrypted file.
- Integrated shredder.
- Shredding of all temporary and encrypted plaintext files.
- Secure memory handling - no keys or data in the paging file.
- Industry standard algorithms.
- Data integrity verification - no undetected modification.
- Unique data encryption keys used for every file and (re-)encryption.
- Easy to add more languages - contact me (I'm especially looking for Nordic languages)!
- Open source - no backdoors.
- Private branding support for commercial or corporate versions.
- It's FREE!
Software that can be used as an alternative to AxCrypt: