Writemonkey is a Windows zenware writing application with an extremely stripped down user interface, leaving you alone with your thoughts and your words.
It is light, fast and free. With an array of innovative tools under the hood, it helps you write better. Editing is for another day ...
Full-screen editing. Get free from your computer and its distractions. Writemonkey's full-screen mode hides it all away leaving just you and your text behind. Do more with less!
Small, Fast, Stable
No installation necessary. Just copy files and directories in any folder on your machine. Writemonkey is very fast and responsive. The main executable is less than 1,6 MB in size.
Put Writemonkey installation on USB key and use it on any Windows computer.
Choose your own ui language (separate download), colors, fonts, page layout and many other aspects of the program. Customize info bar with the info items you want. Scale up your text for easy reading, save different profiles …
Standard and Clean Text Format
For maximum portability your work is stored in standard text files. Writemonkey is fully UTF-8 compatible and will recognize virtually all international characters. Supports other encoding standards
Writemonkey is keyboard friendly software – all commands can be deployed with simple keyboard shortcuts. Even things like scrolling and selecting the text. If you prefer mouse, wm will play along ...
Highlighting helps you visually discern semantic chunks of texts (headings, block quotes, lists and comments). Writemonkey suports all 3 markup standards. Start any paragraph with two slashes "//" and the whole paragraph will be regarded as a comment. It will be dimmed on the screen and excluded from word count and all other statistics.
Spell check whole document or selection using OpenOffice based dictionaries. All major languages are available for download.
Multi Monitor Support
You can use extended Windows desktop feature (in Windows display properties) and run Writemonkey in full screen on any monitor connected to your computer.
- changed: Writemonkey is now targeted to .NET Framework 4.X and is compatible with Windows 8 without the need to install older .NET version 3.5. That also means that users with older systems who don't have .NET 4.0 installed must upgrade their machines.
- added: Single / multiple window option. You can now choose whether new instances of wm are allowed. If disabled (default) all actions will happen in the same window. Preferences / Open&Save / Open. This new functionality also makes Writemonkey usable as a default system text editor without the need for multiple windows.
- Jumps / Files — "Open in new window" command in context menu (SHIFT+ENTER) will open new wm instance with selected file. Preferences / Open&Save / Allow multiple windows must be enabled for this to work.
- added: Left and right blinds in full screen mode. Blinds mimic typing on a sheet of paper and will also lessen the screen glare when using bright backgrounds. Toggle blinds on / off with CTRL+9. Or use Preferences / Screen elements where you can choose whether to use solid or striped blinds.
- removed: Text area markers are no longer available in this version.
- added: You can now set caret position for each replacement item in Preferences / Replacements / Add, Edit. For example: Set qq as a trigger and »«~1 as a replacement. "~1" (must be at the end of the string) will tell wm that it should put the caret between the smart quotes --> »|«. That way you can start writing without moving the caret between the quotes by hand. Another example: Set a replacement for markdown link syntax - ~10 and you'll be able to write the url on the spot. Use the "Set caret position after replace" button to append ~Number automatically.
- added: Wm will check if file, while opened, has been modified by some other application / process. Then it will give you the option to reload it or not. This is the standard behavior of programs that don't put exclusive lock on files while using them.
- added: Use ALT+Up/Down to move paragraph under caret up or down.
- added: Use CTRL+0 to reset font zoom factor to 0 and text column width to 1/2 of the screen's real estate (default view).
- added: Jumps window will now show structurally indented markup headings (for Markdown, Textile and WikiCreole).
- changed: More minimal and compact representation of items in Jumps window.
- added: Open recent Files or recent Folders in Jumps window by pressing ALT+UP or ALT+DOWN.
- added: New help menu item with descriptions of hidden features for donors & direct PayPal link.
- added: Use ALT+H to toggle syntax highlighting on / off.
- added: Sentence segment focus: use ALT+F6 to focus on a sentence under the caret. Note that the concept of sentence is not easily defined. Please test this feature for exceptions so it can be improved.
- added (experimental): Step through sentences with ALT+F7. The sentence under the caret will be selected / highlighted, then next, next, till the end of the file. You can focus on selected sentence any time by pressing F6. CTRL+F7 will step through paraghraphs.
- improved: Jumps window, bookmarks or custom view activation: jump item nearest to the current caret position is now automatically selected / highlighted.
- changed / added: Jumps filter now works differently and has more functionality: "red green blue" will match items that contain red and green and blue. Use "green -blue" to match all items that are green and not blue. You can also use "red or green or blue" to match all items that contain at least one of those tags.
- fixed: Wm has been unable to read files marked as Read-only. New behavior: Read-only file will open in Read-only mode, but because file is write protected, upon save, wm will show Save As dialog to give you the option to save changes if file has been locked by some other process after you opened it in wm.
- added: You can now set opened file to be Read-only so it can't be modified by Writemonkey or any other application until the flag is removed. This is a good way to additionally protect your valuable files. Toggle Read-only mode with CTRL+F9. In Jumps window, read-only file will have its name marked with an asterisks (*).
- added: Jumps / Folders button — in addition to existing project folders list, there is now also a list of child folders (plus link to the parent folder) of currently opened project. It helps you navigate the folder structure without the need to use "Open ..." command.
- changed: Default bookmark string from @@ to ///. This way bookmarks, if at the beginning of the paragraph, work also as comments, will be highlighted & excluded from word count and exported documents. You can still use them in the middle of paragraphs, though.
- added: Jumps window — The maximize and minimize buttons are now both enabled and have different functions. Maximize button (quasi) docks jumps window left or right and keeps it there. Minimize button undocks * jumps window stays where it is even after full screen / window toggle (old behavior).
- added: Right click on the file name in info bar brings up recent files menu. Click opens Jumps window (as before).
- changed: New application icon and new default color scheme.