K-3D is free-as-in-freedom 3D modeling and animation software. It combines flexible plugins with a visualization pipeline architecture, making K-3D a versatile and powerful tool for artists.
K-3D's interface uses your platform's look-and-feel, and it's consistent with the applications you already know. New artists will find K-3D easy to understand, and professionals feel right at home. K-3D is intuitive, consistent, and discoverable.
K-3D features procedural and parametric workflows. Properties can be adjusted interactively and results appear immediately. The powerful, node-based visualization pipeline allows more possibilities than traditional modifier stacks or histories. Selection flows from one modifier to the next.
An advanced undo/redo system ensures you can always go back, and the pioneering undo tree means you can always go forward, even where other programs lose the ability to redo.
Industrial-strength standards form the foundation on which K-3D builds - including native RenderMan(TM) support that integrates tightly with the K-3D user interface.
Get all the power of a node-based visualization pipeline: connect anything to anything else. K-3D gives you the freedom to create combinations never before seen.
Work on one side of a model, show the other side mirrored, and see the end result welded together as a subdivision surface in realtime. Using K-3D, complex workflows are easy to create and understand. Go back, modify the beginning of a workflow, and watch as changes propagate automatically to the end.
K-3D is Free Software. Run it on your choice of platform. Adapt it for any purpose. Receive it at no cost. Share it with your friends. All of the K-3D source code is available under the GNU General Public License.
- Completely rewritten data storage for geometric meshes - capable of rendering one million polygons at interactive rates.
- Introductory support for the LuxRender render engine.
- Experimental support for CSG operations on polyhedra, using either CGAL or CARVE
- Introductory support for NURBS.
- New / rewritten support for 3DS, Collada, OBJ, MD2, Ogre, PLY, STL, and SVG files.
- Interactive Python Shell
- New CMake-based cross-platform build system.
- Over 300 regression tests run every night.
- Nightly coverage testing.
- New Mercurial-based version control.
- New website.
- New time-based release schedule - the next K-3D release will be October, 2010.
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.