VLC Media Player for Mac 2.1.4
Highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats.
With faster decoding on multi-core, GPU, and mobile hardware and the ability to open more formats, notably professional, HD and 10bits codecs, 2.0 is a major upgrade for VLC. Twoflower has a new rendering pipeline for video, with higher quality subtitles, and new video filters to enhance your videos. It supports many new devices and BluRay Discs (experimental). Completely reworked Mac and Web interfaces and improvements in the other interfaces make VLC easier than ever to use.
- Rewritten video output core and modules, allowing subpicture blending in GPU.
- Shader support in the OpenGL output, for colorspace conversion, including 10bits.
- New video outputs for Windows 7, Android, iOS and OS/2.
- New debanding, grain, denoising and anti-flickering filters.
- New deinterlacing filter, including an Inverse Telecine algorithm.
- New resamplers for higher quality audio.
- New dynamic range compressor and karaoke filters.
- Simplification of the audio core for faster processing.
- New audio outputs for iOS, Android and OS/2.
- Multi-threaded decoding for H.264, MPEG-4/Xvid and WebM.
- Support for 10bits codecs, WMV image and some other codecs.
- Rewritten support for images, including jpeg, png, xcf, bmp...
- Important changes in RealVideo and Real Format support.
- CrystalHD cards and Android OpenMAX support for hardware decoding.
Input and Devices
- Experimental support for BluRay discs:
- Menus are deactivated in this release (will come soon).
- AACS and BD+ DRM libraries and keys are not shipped, for legal reasons.
- Support for SDI capture cards and QTKit devices.
- Support for new adaptive streaming protocols, like HLS and DASH.
For Mac Users
- Completely new, single window interface:
- Available in 2 colors: Lion grey and QTX black.
- Extensions support and better Lion integration.
- Support for all QTKit devices through qtcapture and qtsound modules.
- Continued support for X 10.5 and PPC users (1080p and ProRes on Dual-G5!).
For Anime Fans
- Vastly improved MKV demuxer.
- Rewritten linked segments and ordered chapter files support.
- Correct support for FLAC, RV and Hi10p in MKV.
- Rewritten seeking support in cue files.
- Various ASS subtitles improvements.
For professional Users
- Support for ProRes 422 and 4444, AVC/Intra.
- Support for Jpeg-2000 and DNxHD/VC-3 in 10bits.
- Support for EBU subtitles (stl) and EIA-608.
- SDI and HD-SDI card support for input on Linux.
- New Dirac/VC-2 encoder, faster than the previous one.
- libVLC, libVLCcore and libcompat have switched from GPL to LGPLv2.1+.
- New libVLC examples are available: media player, photobooth and mediainfo clones.
- New JSON requests on the web interface to control running VLC instances.
- Implementation of the MPRIS2 interface to control media players.
- VLC's web plugins have been rewritten for better integration and stability in all browsers.
With the capabilities of "RinceWind", 2.1.3 fixes numerous bugs, and improves decoders, notably for the new formats (HEVC and VP9)
2.1.3 fixes numerous bugs, notably numerous regressions introduced in "RinceWind" and 2.1.2. Important fixes involve Audio and Video output management on most platforms.
2.1.3 also improves the demuxer and decoders for most formats, and the various interfaces.
- Fix broken behaviour with SOCKSv5 proxies
- Fix integer overflow on error when using vlc_readdir
- Fix DVB-T2 tuning on Linux
- Fix encrypted DVD playback
- Fix v4l2 frequency conversion
- Fix numerous issues (M2TS, VC1 interlaced, Lagarith, FFv1.3, Xvid) by updating codec libraries
- Bring fluidsynth back on Mac OS X
- Fix some Opus crashes with some filters
- Fix teletext crash on Windows
- Avoid an infinite recursion in MKV tags parsing
- Fix an issue with some Vobsub tracks
- Fix missing samples at the end of some wav files
- Fix divide by 0 on ASF/WMV parsing
- Fix audio device selection via command line on Mac OS X
- Fix audio crashes on Mac OS X
- Fix selection of DirectDraw as the default output for XP
- Fix transform off-by-one issue
- Fix screensaver disabling on Windows outputs
- Fix DirectDraw device enumeration and multi-display output
- Fix a potential crash when playing a fullscreen game at the same time as VLC
- Fix 24bits audio MTU alignment in RTP
- Fix record file names
- Fix minimal size possible on start
- Fix a crash with the simple volume widget
- Fix a crash in the audio menu building
- Fix multimedia keys issues on Windows
- Fix opening of DVD and BD folders on Windows
- Fix album art display on Windows
- Update of Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, German, Modern Greek, Spanish, Basque, Finnish, French, Scottish Gaelic, Galician, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Nepali, Dutch, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Swedish, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian and Simplified Chinese translations
- Fix encoding for Windows installer translations
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Receive a weekly update of our best features and tech news you don't want to miss: