IMPORTANT: Start with Step A, and complete the steps in order.
Step A: UNINSTALL prior Officejet software and POWER OFF your Officejet.
1. Click Start, click All Programs, point to HP Officejet, and then click Uninstall Software.
2. POWER OFF your Officejet and leave it powered off until the installation program prompts you to power it on.
3. Restart your computer.
Step B: Confirm that ECP (Extended Capabilities Port) Mode is enabled.
Your computer's parallel port must be set to ECP mode, which allows greater communications capabilities through the parallel port. Perform the following steps to confirm that ECP mode is enabled:
1. Click Start and then click My Computer.
2. Under Tasks, click View System Information to display the System Properties page.
3. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
Double-click on Ports (COM & LPT). If you see "ECP Printer Port (LPT1)" listed under Ports, ECP mode is enabled and you can proceed to Step C.
Otherwise, restart your PC and press the indicated key (F1, F2, or DEL) to enter your computer's BIOS or "Setup" program (refer to your PC's documentation or vendor's web site for more information). Once you have entered Setup, locate the configuration section for your Parallel Port and modify it to read ECP. If ECP is not a choice, use a variation of ECP, such as ECP & EPP, or ECP DMA1. Save your changes and restart your PC.
Step C: Install the Officejet Software for Windows XP
During installation, Windows will display screens recommending that you stop installation because the Officejet software has not passed Windows Logo testing. Hewlett-Packard has tested this Officejet product with Windows XP and verified compatibility. When screens like the one shown below appear, click Continue Anyway.
Perform the following steps to install the Officejet software for Windows XP:
1. Log on using a local Administrator account; do not attempt to install the HP Officejet as a Remote Administrator, Power User, or Guest.
2. Make sure that no applications (including Norton System Doctor or virus checkers) are running. Open Windows Task Manager by right-clicking an empty space on the taskbar, and then click Task Manager. Click the Applications tab, select any applications that are running, and click End Task. When the list of tasks is empty, close Windows Task Manager.
3. Double-click on the installation file for your HP Officejet product and language (e.g., oj700_ENU_xp1407.exe) and click Finish to accept the default Installation Folder. If you are reinstalling the Officejet software, you may get an Overwrite Protection warning. If so, click "Yes to All" to proceed with the installation.
4. When the HP Officejet Essentials screen appears, click Install and follow the prompts that appear on the screen.
5. When prompted to do so, power on the HP Officejet and make sure it is connected to your computer.
6. In a few moments, several Found New Hardware Wizard screens will appear. Accept the recommended action on each screen by clicking Next or Finish to continue. If the Found New Hardware Wizard screens do not appear, restart your computer.
7. When the HP Officejet Fax Setup Wizard appears, provide the requested information.
8. Click Print Test Page to verify that your installation was successful.
9. Click View the ReadMe File for important information about what is supported.
Note: Before proceeding with your driver installation we suggest you make sure you are installing the latest version available and for the appropriate model/revision and Operating System.
We strongly suggest following 'readme' instructions for installing drivers when available. Often restarting your system will be necessary for the new driver to become active and start functioning properly.
You can check back regularly for the latest updates at TechSpot's Drivers section or stop by our homepage for the best daily coverage of PC technology news on the Web.