Windows XP... reloaded?

By on February 26, 2004, 5:56 PM
According to this CNet News' report, Microsoft is considering to issue another major update to Windows XP that would follow Service Pack 2, already expected later this year.

[COLOR=#1951B9]Issuing an update to XP would represent a significant shift for the software maker, which for months has insisted that it had no plans to create a separate version of Windows before Longhorn. A company executive confirmed to CNET News.com on Thursday that Microsoft is now discussing a product internally referred to as "Windows XP Reloaded."[/COLOR]

MS seems to be worried that the 4-5 year gap between XP's initial release and Longhorn arrival is way too much opportunity to give competitors such as Linux. If SP2 is a more security-oriented patch then a second update would most likely consist of additional and updated features currently available in the OS.

acidosmosis said:
First, Microsoft get's upset that Lindows is using a name similiar to there's. Now, they use Windows XP: Reloaded.If that doesn't make Microsoft the largest hypocrit ever I dont know what does.
SNGX1275 said:
I think acid, that was just Julio's attempt at catching your attention. They aren't actually going to call it that. It will be something like WindowsXPse if they even do it.
acidosmosis said:
[quote]A company executive confirmed to CNET News.com on Thursday that Microsoft is now discussing a product internally referred to as "Windows XP Reloaded."[/quote]LoL. Still, it's hilarious.
SNGX1275 said:
Ok, I made the age old mistake of not reading the link... so it wasn't a Julio only attempt, but I don't think I'd expect it to be called that when/if it hits the store shelves.
acidosmosis said:
Yea, I didn't figure it would but these days you never know with some companys. I wouldn't really be suprised if it did become official, but yea I'm not really expecting it.
Rick said:
Great.. Another Windows Me...
XtR-X said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]Great.. Another Windows Me... [/quote] Yeah... I'd have to agree... they're just gonna rush it out to death.
olefarte said:
[quote].........XP Reloaded will ship in late 2004 and will consist of free, downloadable consumer-oriented updates to XP. [/quote] I like the "free" part. More news about it [url=http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=a
ticle&sid=16702]here.[/url]
lowman said:
I'm not touching it of rat LEAST 6 months...had enough of bleeding edge issues to last me a lifetime.