Just a quick note...

By on March 26, 2004, 11:18 AM
If you are using either a low screen resolution or something above 1024x768, then you probably can notice something different about our design layout. I recently came back from a trip to the US and took a brand new Sony LCD monitor with me, which got my default screen resolution up to 1280x1024...

Right before the site was set to stretch according to user's screen resolution, which is good in a way but going up to 1280s and 1600s, the site doesn't look quite as good so I thought I may try setting a fixed width to 1024x768 which should also be enough for the rest of readers. A lot of sites do this kind of thing with the difference that most optimize width for 800x600 users but in our case, with most readers being PC Enthusiasts, we are confident that setting it higher won't hurt much if at all.
In any case, the change has its pros and cons and I would like to hear your opinion whether you prefer one setting or the other, then decide which way to go.

On another subject, we recently posted a new poll asking about your favourite Instant Messaging client... I go with Trillian, what about you? (see at the right side of your screen for options).

Here are last poll's results:
Your PC speakers setup

6+ channels system
6% - 31 votes

No Speakers
3% - 13 votes

Total votes: 506

SNGX1275 said:
I like it. I run at 1280x960 and it looks fine. Looks W I D E S C R E E N.
Edgeman said:
I use Miranda myself ( [url]http://miranda-im.org[/url] ). Open source, lots of plugins, multiple networks (on ICQ/AIM/Yahoo/MSN/IRC at the moment with it).EDIT: oh, and I don't really notice a difference on the page but that's probably because I use 1152x864 which is not much more than 1024x768.
Per Hansson said:
I also use Miranda IM, it is the best IM program there is... amazing; ICQ is at over 10mb while Miranda is at 1mb :DAnd Miranda can take so many more networks with only plugin dll's
insect said:
Eh, its alright, I prefered the "stretch" cause I could see more per screen.I run 1600 x 1200 res.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
I use 1600x1200 too, and funnily enough, I haven't noticed any difference, but that's probably because I don't use browsers fullscreen.I've used ICQ since Arris talked me into it, never tested others :)
erickdj said:
I run my screen at 1280x1024, the site looks better to me with the page fixed at 1024x768.
LNCPapa said:
I prefer stretched - but that's just a personal pref since I mostly run 1600x1200.
---agissi--- said:
I much perfer stretch.I run 1280x1024...what were the pros? because I dont see why you did this.You had a pole on resolution, and it was about 50% @ 1024x768 and 50% @ 1280x1024 I believe.. so its not like majority of your audience are all using 1024x768.
StormBringer said:
Not exactly 50/50 agissi1280x1024 (+/-) 39% - 287 votes 1024x768 39% - 283 votes 1600x1200 9% - 67 votes 1152x864 8% - 60 votes 800x600 3% - 23 votes >1600 1% - 7 votes Total votes: 727 I also run 1280x1024 and the site looks fine, I don't really notice any difference
---agissi--- said:
Ah ok, 40/40. I knew I wasnt exactly correct, but I knew those were the top2 resolutions and they both were about the same in audience #
Per Hansson said:
Hmm, yes, I run @ 1152x864 and I must say I prefer the "stretched" TS...This is just personal preference though...
Masque said:
1280x1024 here and in the abscence of a "widescreen" TV, this will work nicely. ;)
Didou said:
Well it only changes on the frontpage, guides, etc. It doesn't change on the forums themselves so it hasn't really affected me & I don't run my browser maximised anyways.;)
---agissi--- said:
Still... what are the pros if it affects so many of us conly.
filthy_mcnasty said:
gotta agree that i liked it better stretched. it doesn't look bad i guess it's probably more that i got used to it stretched but that's my 2 cents.
Edgeman said:
Just noticed that the old 3dspotlight.com URL stopped working today. Guess it's finally time to update those bookmarks ;)
XtR-X said:
Looks awesome!
Julio said:
Feedback indicates people likes the site streched better so we are rolling back to that... at least until the PHP-based site is done when we should be able to make tables/columns work 'smartly'.As for the 3dspotlight.com domain, I just renewed services, hopefully should be back up in the next 2 days.