Alleged Hacker Now Works for Microsoft

By Derek Sooman on July 10, 2004, 10:29 AM
You hear stories about this sort of thing, but to be honest I never really know how much to take them seriously. Ex-Hacker gets hired by big multinational as security expert. Sounds cool. But does it really happen? So it seems.

"A man accused of hacking into search engine company AltaVista's computer systems about two years ago is now employed by Microsoft Corp., reportedly working on search technology. Laurent Chavet, 29, was arrested by FBI agents a week ago in Redmond, Wash., acting on a warrant issued in San Francisco. Microsoft spokeswoman Tami Begasse said Friday that Chavet, who lives in suburban Kirkland, is an employee of Microsoft. She declined further comment on the nature of Chavet's employment or when he started at the company, citing Microsoft policy on not discussing personnel matters."

Spike said:
While I wish this guy now working for MS all the luck in the world, I have to say that I'm a little bit confused on MS's policy on CyberCrime.I mean, this guy hacket into a popular search engine, stole source, and gets employed by Microsoft, at a time where MS is offering six figure sums to catch virus writers?But of course, that would be for virii that affect windows machines.Regardless of Microsofts products, in my opinion, their attitude to ethics and corporate responsibility really sucks.
---agissi--- said:
Wow I wish I could do that ! :D Pretty cool, and then to get hired?Thats cool :p (/me preps to get flammed)
Phantasm66 said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by ---agissi--- [/i]Wow I wish I could do that ! [/quote]Oh, I am sure you will. :evil:;)
DirtDizzle said:
What better way of finding out how to hire the best of the best. Now look, everyone with money does it. The government does it, all corps do it, Sports franchises do it, and believe me, it will always happen. The guy was obviously on a self destructive path using his gifts. But when working for top dollar, you tend to keep your nose clean seeing those nice big paychecks. Do you guys honestly think the $60,000 a year janitor at MS steals windows xp cds? Or does he keep the shiniest floor you ever seen, before driving home to his probably beautiful family in his nice car, to his home. IMO in this day and age, it makes perfect sense in regards for a better future, technology-wise and productive-wise. The guy has a gift that needs to be exploited. If not then, he WILL use his gift in a far less productive manner, or probably waste his life away digging holes for swimming pools. So why not make him a PRODUCTIVE member of society and keep him busy protecting OUR computers. POINT BEING.... Some people never understand what it's like to be gifted, or make use of a gift. So I won't argue with ****** becuase they'll just drag you down to thier level and beat you with experience. :DI'm with the other guy. I think he's lucky. But I am not gullible enough to not say We should all just hope he can keep his nose clean and out of other people's intillectual property. If thats the case, we all should know what needs to be done to repeat offenders.
Spike said:
well, someone does. lol How else do they get out before a product is released? :D
DirtDizzle said:
LOL, my point exactly. Get those guys a REAL job.
---agissi--- said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Phantasm66 [/i]Oh, I am sure you will. :evil:;) [/quote] Nah, I doubt my parents would be too fond of the FBI showing up :D Plus 99% of the guys who do this dont get the job at MS, they just head for the dungen 8) Overall, its not worth it.
Unregistered said:
Excellent answer aggissi. Your right it isn't worth it. It's almost so fictional it could be a blockbuster summer movie. :)
DirtDizzle said:
By the way the above post is mine.