"Windows Marketplace" Will Advertise In Start Menu And IE

By Derek Sooman on July 13, 2004, 1:02 PM
Not sure I like the sounds of this one, my friends. The new shopping Web Site, "Windows Marketplace" will advertise in the Windows XP Start Menu and the Internet Explorer Web browser. I am not sure exactly what form this is supposed to take, but if its anything like adverts popping up every time you click START, I might have to format my C: drive and never install Windows again.

Still, its also entirely possible that this is a good and effective means of shopping on-line. Really. Its true.

"Called "Windows Marketplace," the Web site is slated to go live for U.S. Windows users by year's end, according to Microsoft, which plans to officially announce the online store on Monday at its Worldwide Partner Conference in Toronto."

"The Windows Marketplace will be a way for Microsoft partners to peddle their wares to the millions of Windows users, the Redmond, Washington-based software vendor says in a statement.""

Get ready to see wares from the likes of Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Circuit City Stores, Buy.com, and Best Buy Company.

Rick said:
This will probably end up like that stupid "Channel Bar" that came with 98 first edition. Nobody will like it and they will remove in XP SP3. :)
Unregistered said:
Now they have really crossed the line, I'll be really pissed if microsoft and their buddies start advertising on my machine. Hell, a few years from now we might start seeing advertisement during the PC's POST and the windows boot process. I'm sure microsoft will be flamed big time if this goes through.
Didou said:
Julio said:
It's my best guess that the "Windows Marketplace" ads will consist on some subtle integration within the OS, for example, a desktop icon pointing to the website, links in IE's favourites and perhaps one or two more things here and there.More experienced users will most likely remove these inmediately as you customize your own desktop but Microsoft would still be able to reach millions by putting these up as default with an upcoming SP or OS release. This is not the first time MS tries to take advantage of Windows popularity to promote their other products and if we were on their position I wouldn't doubt would do much of the same.
Phantasm66 said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Didou [/i]Next thing you'll know, you'll see a patch to correct an exploit where people can take control of your machine through these "ads".:p [/quote] No, that exploit is a new "[i]feature[/i]" ! ;)[quote][i]Originally posted by Phantasm66[/i]"Windows Marketplace" Will Advertise In Start Menu And IE[/quote]Must it?
Rick said:
Oh my God... Say it isn't so... Not another.... CHANNEL BAR![url]http://www.activewin.com/tips/ie/ie4/channels.shtml
/url]
Nic said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Unregistered [/i]... a few years from now we might start seeing advertisement during the PC's POST and the windows boot process ...[/quote]Have you tried the Knoppix Linux bootable CD. There is an Ad displayed during POST (I saw it today). 8)
Rick said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Nic [/i]Have you tried the Knoppix Linux bootable CD. There is an Ad displayed during POST (I saw it today). 8) [/quote] Really? Eeeww.It's more forgivable for free software though.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Nic [/i]Have you tried the Knoppix Linux bootable CD. There is an Ad displayed during POST (I saw it today). 8) [/quote]Eh? You're not talking about actual PC Power On Self Test, are you? Displaying an ad there would require editing the BIOS itself, I don't think Knoppix does that.
Nic said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli [/i]Eh? You're not talking about actual PC Power On Self Test, are you? Displaying an ad there would require editing the BIOS itself, I don't think Knoppix does that. [/quote]A colleague of mine booted to the Knoppix CD (v3.3, I think) at work today. I was looking over his shoulder when I spotted the Ad (we both commented on it) as the machine booted. I can't remember what it was advertising, but it was on the Knoppix splash screen, so no not during POST (my bad, I used the term loosely) :blush:, but just after once the CD was booting.
Unregistered said:
Want to advertise on MY machine? Send me a check. My desktop real-estate doesn't come cheap.
Spike said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]It's more forgivable for free software though. [/quote] Just playing devils advocate, but how far would you stretch that view?[IMG]http://img22.exs.cx/img22/871/msnmess.jpg[/IMG]MSN Messenger is free. How acceptable is that? Personally, it gets on my nerves.
Rick said:
[b]More[/b] acceptable.. But certainly still not within the realm of acceptance by my standards. :)What I find absolutely intolerable though, is paying $200 for software that is going to display ads on your computer.You've already paid your dues.. Where as with freeware you get what you pay for. ;)
Spike said:
:) Very true. I suppose it's like owning a Billboard or a TV channel, and an advitiser acctually charging you to advertise on it. Not on really is it. lol
Nodsu said:
You don't even remember what the Knoppix ad was for..My SuSE installation has an ad on KDE splashscreen. It's for a KDE conference taking place this autumn. And I'm quite sure SuSE doesn't get paid for showing it.I think it's not the same as "lowest interest rates ever" or "buy [insert the latest hyped tech toy here]!" earning more money for MS.