Doom 3 - 2000, XP & beyond

By Thomas McGuire on July 29, 2004, 6:26 AM
Noticed over on Planetdoom that apparently it's been confirmed Doom 3 will not run on Windows 9x:

We went straight to the horses mouth so to speak & asked Activision themselves. The reply we got was that it is confirmed & indeed true that DOOM 3 will only run on Windows machines that have windows 2000 or XP & not lower.

Would you like to know more? No doubt this will a problem for some, but, well, if you're intending to buy Doom 3 you ought to have a new system anyway, so this shouldn't be too surprising, though it is somewhat interesting to see that id is once again at the forefront of getting people to upgrade their systems (Albeit normally graphics cards) ;).

DigitAlex said:
Not surprising at all, how can u expect an OS not able to handle 256MB RAM being able to run that monster
Godataloss said:
Didou said:
Win9x/ME was already unsupported with DeusEx : Invisible War & Thief : Deadly Shadows.
Strakian said:
Anyone know if it'll be DVD-ROM or CD-ROM?
SNGX1275 said:
Most likely both.DigitAlex - I think 9x can handle 256 just fine, it just has difficulties with 512.
Greeno said:
above 512MB
Federelli said:
Exactly, has issues with more than 512MB.IMO it's good that they won't support it, it's about time
filthy_mcnasty said:
i stopped supporting win9x in my own applications about a year ago =).i think i read somewhere that they were NOT going to do a DVD release of this because it just wasn't worth it.
erickdj said:
exactly, no dvd edition, at least not when it's released.
Rick said:
Win9x has problems with memory... period.
DigitAlex said:
Win9x is a problem. Period.
Unregistered said:
Windows is a problem. Period ;) :D
Unregistered said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Godataloss [/i]This is great! I just installed XP on my 400mhz P2 with 16 MB TNT2- I'm all set! [/quote] LOL,noy with a 16 mb dinosaur you arent,hell,I have an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and it has problems running Doom 3.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
Remember that[i]product will not run on operating system A[/i]and[i]product is unsupported on operating system A[/i]are two different things.
Unregistered said:
I think that's good that Doom 3 won't run on Windows 98/ME. Those Operating Systems are so crappy to begin with that why would such an advanced game that requires such a robust machine even support crappy operating systems like Windows 98/ME?? WHy would anybody install such a lousy OS like 98/ME on a 1.5GHz or faster machine???[COLOR=red]- Watch your language on these forumsDidou[/COLOR]
Unregistered said:
Heck I would even stop supporting WIndows 98/ME compatibility on all program by now. It ought to be a Windows 2000/XP world by now!!!!! Windows 2000/XP are actually real 32-bit true multi-tasking operating systems unlikde Windows 98/Me which are practcally old DOS code tweaked to emulate multi-tasking. If you still have a PC with Windows 98/ME on it and have no need to run legacy programs, there is no reason not to get your hands on a copy of Windows 2000 or Windows XP for a Pentium III with 128MB or higher end system, and install one of those on it and use it as your main OS as long as your hardware has stable drivers for 2000 or XP which almost all hardware made within the last 4 years does, at least for 2000 anyway.
Goalie said:
Oy you twits...Some people don't have the MONEY to purchase 2k/xp/2003.Some people have hardware made specifically for an OS (ME in this case.) And it runs fine on there.Many people DO have the use/need for DOS emulation (On a side rant, why can't they just use a boot floppy? Lazy bastards..)Really.. 9x wasn't that bad for what it was meant for.The answer in this case is that Win 9x wasn't ever meant for THIS.
Greeno said:
fair points, but you could try and avoid saying stihty and bdtarsas tho :pThere must be a rule about it somewhere.9x wasn't bad (at the time) when 2k first came out it was a no no for gaming, but now, theres no need for a 9x platform at all...
DigitAlex said:
A hardware made specially to run ME ? what the hell
Goalie said:
It's called a laptop. Many laptops are made with hardware tailored to an OS. And the OS build tailored to it.While in many cases future OSes handle the hardware, they don't quite have the optimizations that were present/performance value.Although.. now that I think about it. What poopy-hatted individual would want to run Doom III on a laptop?? (better Greeno??)
Rick said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Unregistered [/i]Windows is a problem. Period ;) :D [/quote] Period. :)
Nic said:
Computers are a problem. Period. ;) :)Period. :) Periods are a problem. Period. :D ... just ask any female.
Goalie said:
Yep.............. that's how.. J.S.R. got banned.... :grinthumb
DigitAlex said:
LMAO, very good point Goalie !Did he really get banned because of the periods ??
Goalie said:
I think it was a contributory negligence..I heard he'd been asked to stop/cut back, didn't, was doing a few other stupid things. I think the Mods would know a little better than I.
---agissi--- said:
Ah........ahha...................haha...hahahha, this is hilarious......................
DigitAlex said:
please someone tell me the story, I really would like to know how that nightmare......... ended
Unregistered said:
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but Doom 3 WILL run on 9x systems, just with a little bit of hex editing (just two bytes!). I think it was somewhere on the PlanetDoom forums.
---agissi--- said:
Thats cool.. I wonder if every app in year 3000 will still run on 9x systems, cuz it seems 9x isnt going to be dropped!