What's new for Internet Explorer 7?

By Derek Sooman on June 7, 2005, 8:02 PM
Getting excited waiting for Internet Explorer 7? Microsoft certainly thinks you should be about the new security strategies for the browser. Promising a completely re-worked architecture for defending against exploits, the new IE 7 will ship with reduced privilege mode turned on by default in an effort to avoid the staggering number of browser-based hacking attacks.

During a strategic briefing on security at the TechEd conference, corporate VP of Microsoft Corp.'s Security Business & Technology Unit Gordon Mangione said IE 7.0 will be chock full of security and privacy enhancements, all aimed at addressing the biggest threats facing Web surfers today.
IE 7 will feature changes in the way files are executed and new anti-spoofing and anti-phishing technologies in addition.

Browsing is definitely a point of vulnerability," said Gates, chairman and chief software architect at Microsoft, based in Redmond, Wash.

It's unclear exactly what kind of phishing protection Microsoft plans to offer, but it will likely include technology to detect spoofed Web sites, a key to phishing attacks.

However, if you are a user of Windows 98, 2000, NT 4 or anything else still kicking around, don't expect to get any of this new technology. IE 7 will only be compatible with Windows XP SP2 (Service Pack 2) systems, so its likely that browser security will soon be a forgotten thing for any other Microsoft OS platforms released prior to this.

Mikael said:
I really hope that Microsoft has done something brilliant to make sure that IE is a lot more secure. I think that a new version of IE will make some of the people that switched to Opera of Mozilla think twice.
Julio said:
I still find unjustifiable that Microsoft has been sitting duck for so long with the current version of IE. Not only they did not care about adding basic features such as tab-browsing, but (WindowsXP) SP2 that brought many needed security fixes still was REALLY late.
shnig said:
god theres just no pleasing some people.
kraugie said:
Microsoft has failed to put adequate security in alot of their mainstream software for years, I too am skeptical, of what kinda of garbage microsoft comes up with next.
Masque said:
kraugie said:
[b]Originally posted by Masque:[/b][quote]A lot of companies have failed to adequately protect their software. It still falls back to the simple fact that the more popular an O/S or application is, the more it's targeted and the quicker it will be so by those with enough expertise to do something about it. I've used IE exclusively for many years....and I've not had a problem. I keep autoupdates on, keep my Spybot in immunization mode and keep my virus checker up-to-date as any smart person should do and all has been well.BTW, I've tried tab browsing and don't really see all the hoopla with it. My capabilites haven't suffered without it.[/quote]I personally haven't had a problem with IE on and computer I've owned, but i work on consumer level pcs, and everyone comes in with no updates, no spyware protection, alot of times no virus protection. Im not standing up for these people, i guess what im saying is, in my experience the problem is awareness. And I like being able to just hit ctrl+t to open a fresh browser window.
grg183 said:
do you think it will be possible to disable tabbed browsing ??...I've used tabs in other browsers and personally find them very annoying and make browsing very frustrating . Besides that, obviously the tabs toolbar reduces the available on screen space for the page.