Oversupply of Xbox 360 in Japan

By Derek Sooman on December 14, 2005, 1:35 PM
Whilst we are hearing stories of massive Xbox 360 shortages in the US and in Europe (has anyone actually started fighting over them yet?) the launch in Japan seems to be a pretty meagre affair, as we have reported. It appears that the Xbox 360 is estimated to have sold between 42,000 and 62,000 units in its first two days on the Japanese market, a far cry from the levels that Microsoft would be hoping and expecting. Reportedly, retailers still have plenty of stock of the consoles. Rumours have emerged of Japanese retailers actually slashing prices to get rid of stock. Microsoft seemingly still believes that it can sell one million 360s in the region by mid-2006, but this does seem a little unlikely given the current lack of interest in the console by the Japanese.

Anecdotal reports out of Japan suggested that many popular retailers were left with stacks and stacks of Xbox 360 units behind counters, begging to be purchased. According to Famitsu's data, from market research firm Enterbrain Inc., for the 360's first two days of availability Microsoft managed to sell only 62,135 units of the console out of an initial shipment of 159,000.

MarkSizzle said:
Who didn't see this coming? I mean Japan is basically a sony and nintendo country. Some if not most of them care just about nothing for the "low-life" console of America.
donnagual said:
I am living here in Japan, and I can tell you the excitement for XBOX is minimal. They have their displays out in the electronics stores, and commercials are running on TV, but ask ANYONE and they'll tell you they are going to get the PS3.Japan likes Japanese products. It is in the culture. Look on the streets of Japan and 99.99% of the cars on the road are Japanese. You RARELY see any imported cars. The mentality I think carries over. Pride is a major factor.
iantony said:
It has far more to do with lacklustre launch titles than it has to do with whether the console is Japanese or not! Gamers can be a fussy bunch, not matter what country they reside in, although the Japanese in particular like their role playing and adenture games. Beating Sony to market is not a big deal if the games are mostly mediocre or not attractive to the consumer. What role playing and adventure games did the xbox 360 launch with in Japan? Sakaguchi's Blue Dragon and Lost Odessey did not make it to launch. Imagine if these titles were available at launch. It would have been a very different story. Maybe it's a matter of wait and see for the Japanese, but by then Sony will be on the scene with the PS3.
rob2000 said:
i wish they had more units in the US, a friend told me best buy was getting shipments this sunday, and today i see it posted on the web. I read a article the other day about the launch and japan and it said they had a bunch of cancellations when dead or alive's 360 title was delayed. i think it will be word of mouth in japan , and it has so far to go agnaist the competition. But they had to try, its a big business and there is a untapped market basically there for microsoft, although they might need incentives for those consumers.
tarun123v said:
Japaneese think that there Sony's PS3 console will be far much better than the XBOX 360 is offering moreover in the whole world the Electronic's business is all Japaneese so why would they buy a product which is developed by a company who doesn't have any electronics background(experience)
MarkSizzle said:
Good point tarun123v. Thats what I was trying to get at with my first comment, but you got it out for me lol.
Mofoed said:
I think tarun123v and iantony make valid points but moreover I think Japan will be more moved to embrace the XBOX360 depending on the titles it will pump out. I mean its the games that make or break any cosole system, plus I am one of those that will wait until the PS3 comes out to see what I wanna get.
Kev_Boy said:
I also think the launch lineup is most to blame.The Japansese are a peculiar bunch when it comes to their taste in games, and I don't think the XBOX360 has a lot (if any) games to please them. Pride or not; if there were games there that would tickle their fancy I still do believe it would've sold quite well even though it wasn't made by Japanesians.
mentaljedi said:
As the American spokesman for Nintendo said (can't remember name): "IT's all about the games". Nintendo has fantastic games, that's what it lives on, so the Japenese love it. Look at Nintendogs etc... Games liket that make or break consoles, in this case it made the DS. The PS3 have a good reputation from the PS2 to back them up, and NIntedo have the great games but what do the Xbox have? (Except Halo of course).Everyone still has that thing in their heads about how huge the XBOX was. It's going to be so hard for them to penetrate the Japanese market. They went for power (Graphics etc...) and lost last time. Have the same mistakes been made twice?
iantony said:
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by iantony:[/b][quote]There is nothing wrong with going for good graphics in a console system. It is possible to have good graphics and good games! Why should the two be mutually exclusive? Personally, I think the Xbox 360 was just rushed to market. You can tell because not much attention has been given to the launch titles at all. Where is Halo 3? (I suspect they are saving that one for the PS3 launch time) Remember the Sega Dreamcast? It hit the market early too, before the PS2. It was the first next gen system to market at that time and it flopped miserably, but then again Sega then is not Microsoft now; a company willing to take a loss for a long time in order to destroy their competition. It will be interesting to see how things turn out over the next year. Personally I think Sony made a bad move when they announced to the world they expect people to work harder in order to buy their console, which is going to be super expensive! When will they wake up and realise consoles are not a necessity of life, but a luxury! I'm hoping the darkhorse Nintendo is going to pull a rabbit from the hat next year and we are going to see some truly amazing things from them.[/quote]Yes. I agree. But what the Xbox went for was graphical power. As much as that appeals to gamers, its the games that are more important. Tetris is a brilliant game but it doesn't have great graphics. I agree with you about the release. It was rushed, no doubt about it. I also think the gamecube was rushed too, though not as much. PS2 hit the nail on the head with that one.
Bartzy said:
So why did Microsoft didn't see it coming and supplied USA and Europe with those stocks ? Quite stupid. I have to admit that the Xbox 360 looks very promising. I don't know if PS3 could beat it (by technology, not press and sympathy). BTW, Nintendo is far behind Microsoft and Sony. I don't understand why they keep trying.All in all, we'll have a great giants fight in the consoles market :)