Hackers compromise Guidance Software systems

By Justin Mann on December 20, 2005, 2:57 PM
Guidance Software, a computer forensics firm, recently had their systems compromised by hackers, and that some odd 3,800 people may have had credit card information stolen because of this. As the result of a customer of theirs finding thousands of dollars worth of charges that shouldn't have been, it was discovered that Guidance Software was storing the CVV number, which is often used online as another layer of protection for online shoppers, a number that merchants are expressly forbidden from storing.

Though the company has now stated they won't be storing credit card information from this point forward, it's a warning to both companies and individuals alike about the danger of identify theft of how important it is to keep your data secure. Read the original article at the Washington Post.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
This article reminds me of this old game called Uplink: Hacker Elite. A case of reality imitating video games methinks. LOL
PanicX said:
Ah..grrr..pfft... This type of nonsense is rediculous. The sad thing is that there is no way to know if you're information is protected by venders, regardless of how big they are. It's really sad, because the internet offers a forum for consumers to really take advantage of supply and demand, however companies make it near impossible to have confidence while shopping online. You can also be sure that Guidance Software isn't the only company storing sensitive data. I've seen several companies that don't hash user passwords, meaning anyone that accesses the database has a good place to access username and passwords for thousands of people that likely use the same information elsewhere.When it comes down to it. The only way to protect yourself while shopping online is to use a credit card that protects you from fraud (won't hold you accountable for charges) and to carefully watch your statements for fraudulant charges.
nimo333 said:
I don't worry about someone stealing money from my bank account, you know why, because I hardly have any, haha, lol.
Eleventeen said:
Didn't some bank company release a card that uses a fake number for the internet? That would be nice just incase something like this happens to anyone. I dont really get how it works since it all comes from the same place, and besides, if someone stole that fake number that you use, couldn't they use it to buy things also?
Bartzy said:
PanicX, you forget one important thing - The Internet is a pretty safe place. After all the problems and the hacking - It is still safer than giving your credit card number to an unknown pizza company by phone or to a little store in the suburb of the city.I will continue buying over the Internet and I will not surrender to those threats. After all, the freedom of property is still written in the constitution, right ? :)
asphix said:
Scary stuff. Its funny how online purchasing has become second nature, and on top of that most people feel 100% secure throughout their transactions.Peronally I never let companies hold on to my information. Yeah, its a pain to re-enter the information every time but I like the added sense of security, even if it isnt needed it makes me feel better.
mentaljedi said:
I let the company keep everything except for tel and card number. Address doesn't matter beacause i live in such a hard to find place, what's the point? as for email etc.. i get loads of spam anyway. Yup, just tel and card number.