Three men face criminal charge for Xbox tampering

By Derek Sooman on December 20, 2005, 3:13 PM
In the US, three men have been charged with selling modified Xbox consoles that could play pirated games. A complaint has been made against ACME Game Store co-owners Jason Jones, 34, and Jonathan Bryant, 44, as well as Pei "Patrick" Cai, 32, and alleges that Jones and Bryant sold Xbox systems that Cai modified with chips and hard drives that allowed users to play illegally pirated games. If convicted, they face a possible maximum penalty of five years in federal prison.

Jones and Bryant demonstrated the modified Xbox game consoles in their Melrose Avenue store. They charged from $225 to more than $500 for the modifications, depending on the extent of the modifications and the number of games preloaded onto the hard drive, according to a statement from prosecutors and the complaint affidavit obtained by Reuters.

During the investigation, undercover agents with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement paid $265 to have a modification chip, a hard drive and 77 pirated games installed on an Xbox, according to the criminal complaint.

DragonMaster said:
Well... I would understand if it was about Xbox 360 but not Xbox.I just laugh when I see in a free local computer magazine a couple of store ads with "Modchip installation available" in the corners.
Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Hmphf. This is old news and stuff like this has been going on for years. Instead of buying original games, people I know download the entire game onto their hard disk into the Xbox, and then play it from there. So BAH, Humbug!
MarkSizzle said:
This is pretty funny. I mean its xbox man come on. If it was 360 I >might< be able to understand due to the pricing of the games, but regardless this is still dumb and funny.
nimo333 said:
I know in India, they sell the same copy of the American games for $10 (origianl copy) while in here it's $50.As to ans. this article, I find putting like these people into jail is stupid, the gov. should only make them pay fines and of realistic number.
PanicX said:
I'd think that if they were just modifying the Xbox that there wouldn't be an issue, but installing pirated games is where there's a problem. I'm no legal expert, but if you're going to be selling pirated material, it can't be much of a shock when you get called on it. Plus if they can prove damages over $400 its becomes gran theft, a felony which requires jail time.
vigilante said:
Forget XBox, I wish somebody would put a hard drive loaded with games in an NES! I'd buy that sucker in a heart beat!
Bartzy said:
Stores like that are located anywhere there is a demand for consoles. I don't get why the court remembered to deal with it just now. Doing all this fuss with Xbox 360 is fine. It's new and all, but Xbox ? It's stupid and for my opinion Xbox and PS2 should not be sold anymore. Their time has passed.
asphix said:
mentaljedi said:
Its Xbox. End of story. Microsoft haters everywhere, you know what to do. Go for the things that nobody wants to buy anyway! Please, if it was the 360 i'd understand even condone, but... argh i can't say any more!
harib said:
[b]Originally posted by asphix:[/b][quote]I think this is a great move personally. Any and all of you who say you dont understand, or disagree obviously dont play much on xbox live. Hackers are rampant on Halo2 due to modded consoles. Its become as bad as Counter Strike was back in the day. I dont see this just as a move to prevent people from using pirated software but also as a measure to stop cheaters from destroying any legit use of the xbox live service.And plus.. These guys were profiting off of modifying and re-selling the xbox hardware in a way that violates several laws.. what is there to not understand?[/quote]i will never do this to my xbox even though i knew i will never face any problem with regards to the law since i am in deffirent country :) because at the end of the day you want to injoy the game so i will spend some more mony instaide to maintain the quality of the xbox live games.