New "Santa" worm spreading via messengers

By Justin Mann on December 20, 2005, 8:25 PM
Yet another Internet worm, although this one is among a few that are starting to grow that use Instant Messengers to propogate themselves. The IM.GiftCom.All worm, dubbed the “Santa” worm, is targeting users of MSN and YIM, and trying to lure them into opening a file that will, of course, infect the machine and further propogate itself. It is also installing a rootkit on the machine, potentially opening up the machine to the outside world to be manipulated by the authors. To those on messengers, be wary of what you click on and of course make sure you keep your machine up to date.

EsTeBaNo said:
Damn, Another More...I Think its more safe using other web pages Online messengers like E-Messenger or Web pages that offer the same service... Or Its all just the same?I Have been bothered by the troya netbus thanks to the Msn Messenger..I Have norton internet security and a Norton window popped up sayin if i want to allow the Msn an i clicked yes... Then 4 secs after this the norton was blocking the Netbus.But Well It has stopped bothering me ... so im just waiting it wont happen again.[Edited by EsTeBaNo on 2005-12-20 22:06:02]
spike said:
It's safer not to click a link in a messenger unless you either know it's safe.This is more than another one though. This one even tries to fool you into believeing that the file was legit by acctually showing you a picture. I believe that this is the first IM worm to come with a rootkit payload too. According to IMlogic (who I've seen credited with the first reports), this one affects not just MSN or yahoo, but AIM and ICQ instant messengers too.
cyrax said:
Another worm to make life miserable. Its as if we don't have enough to worry about. Jpeg viruses really freak me out since it can appear anywhere.
Phantasm66 said:
Ho, ho, ho! Merry Christmas!
barfarf said:
Takes a whole new outlook on Santa is coming to town!=)
michelena2000 said:
Santa is being naughty!
mentaljedi said:
Santa's now coming down the wires instead of chimneys!
Bartzy said:
But how the worm spreads itself ? I suddenly get a message from someone on MSN Messenger and he sends me this file ? weird. I thought Messenger is better than ICQ in this area because you can't search people...
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by Bartzy:[/b][quote]But how the worm spreads itself ? I suddenly get a message from someone on MSN Messenger and he sends me this file ?[/quote][url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4520766.
tm]"lol no its not a virus"[/url]
realblackstuff said:
What's wrong with good old email?Using a proper ISP, not one of those spam-riddled easily-compromisable outfits like Hotmail, Gmail or Yahoo-Mail, will do quite a lot for the health of your communications (and your PC)!You'll not find any Messenger-like programs on my PCs!
doomsweek said:
At least it *only* affects Windows-powered PCs. ( Am I right? ) People should really stop doing nonsense stuff, why would they ruin other people's lives? *_*