Opera Goes Mobile in Battle of Browsers

By Mikael Hoffman on December 25, 2005, 4:31 PM
Opera is planning on making money by selling branded versions of the browser to operators and cellphone manufacturers. As the popularity of Internet browsing on cellphones increases, this will be good news for Opera because many people speculate that they are at the forefront of mobile browser technology. Reportedly Opera owns only 1 percent of the desktop browser market (with Internet Explorer at 85 percent and Firefox at about 10 percent).

vnf4ultra said:
Opera's the only add on browser I've heard of for cell phones, if it's as good as the desktop opera, then it's a winner. I thought I just heard that opera mobile was going to be "free" now, it seems a little odd to be selling it if it's available for free.
nathanskywalker said:
Well, that would be very interesting. Opera is alright, much better than i.E, of course. Personally though, i don't think it is quite on level with firefox...
Eleventeen said:
Although Ive never had Opera as my browser before, I have heard of how good it is, and how bad it is from some people. I guess it's a good idea for them to be doing this for many reasons. This could make them more popular too. I bet around 1 out of every 50 people of who I talk to dont even know what Opera is. This would really give the company what they need to excel if it turns out to be a big success.
cyrax said:
vnf4ultra said:
[b]Originally posted by cyrax:[/b][quote]The ability to maximize the usage of the limited resources of mobiles have always been a problem. If firefox enters the race i'm betting they would win because of low load time and effective security.[/quote]I think opera loads faster than firefox, at least on the desktop, and I've heard opera's more secure. Personally, I like using firefox better though, altough both are good IMO.
Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Opera is good in terms of everything compared to IE but still, its not on par with Firefox. Pages take time to load in Opera but they load lightspeed in Firefox. But mobiles work differently from computers so maybe Opera's technology might work there against Firefox(if they enter that market), u never know.
barfarf said:
I used opera on windows for a while but too there were many webpage at least at the time were incompatible and by the time firefox came out i never looked back. However i believe competition is good for the industry and if they can help the cell phone market more power to them.
asphix said:
I only used opera for a short period of time. I have heard really good things about it though. I really want to see Opera take a more active role in the "browser wars" and see what they can contribute.As long as these products remain free, us consumers/users can only benefit from their competition.. so the more competition the happier I'll be :D
otmakus said:
Microsoft has bundled IE with every Windows mobile they sold, so it's going to be the exact same thing as in the PC world. The battle between IE and the rest. I hope Firefox doesn't wait too long before launching its mobile version too.
PUTALE said:
it would be nice to update the browser for the mobile units. If opera can deliver a good mobile browser that does not consume much of the resource yet good feature and function, it would be nice.
Handyman said:
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by Handyman:[/b][quote]We all know how much it sucks to browse the internet on your mobile phone. A new browser is a welcome change. Although it's not as easy to use as Firefox, Opera is still much better then IE6. Hope IE7 will bring something new and improved.[/quote]Hope? Seems that's all we do with Microsoft.
Bartzy said:
I used Opera for a couple of months before moving to Firefox, and it's quite a good browser. Despite this, its much harder to imply the same principales to mobile software. I think the mobile Opera won't be as good as the desktop version.I usually don't buy the latest cellphones anyway, so I don't mind :)
MonkeyMan said:
Great job on that Opera, I look forward to seeing this new software being released. BTW, I love their browser!!!!