Petition for ATI to bring CPanel back

By on December 25, 2005, 3:19 PM
Catalyst 5.12 drivers were the last to be bundled with the old control panel. At least with that version you kept the option between the old control panel and the new Catalyst .NET Control Center. We are up to version 5.13 now, and you are forced to use the new Control Panel. By signing this petition you are telling ATI you might be boycotting future purchases of ATI hardware.

PUTALE said:
mmh, I have not yet installed the new drivers, so I am not sure whether or not that I am bothered that much by the new "net" driver CP. However, I have to say, I like the old simple interface of the old control panel but I also understand why ati would want to use the new interface just to offer a better looking control panel(i have heard a lot of bad news about the new CP). maybe we just need to give ati time to fine tune it.
Malibu Stacey said:
You can just use the Omega Drivers instead.They come with the normal CP not the CCC.
nathanskywalker said:
What the hec!? Boycott ATI just because a little driver trouble, well i think that is incredibly stupid, but whatever man, dudes and yeah the like. I mean, so? One little slip...
Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Not to mention dumb. We might be missing on new technology that might outdo rival NVIDIA's offerings. But still, its a win some-lose some situation, with the loss more incapacitating(IMHO) than the gain.
Kaleid said:
Signed. Although I now have a Nvidia card I might switch back to ATI next time (depends on the bang for the buck ratio) I have no willingless or use of the new CCC system. RAM is precious and I don't want to waste one MB on something that I have no use for. Programmers should learn from the coders of utorrent... no bloatware yet all the functions you could ever need.
spike said:
The coders of utorrent have been stuck with an alpha release for some time now, and it has some pretty awful deficiencies (among it's rich and wonderful features) - like not having it's own read/write cache which is enough to significantly reduce the life of your drive for example.Maybe utorrent isn't the best example then, but I see the point you are trying to make, and yes, ATI do need to make some improvements when it comes to catalyst.Catalyst - hmm. I don't like it much myself. I far prefer Nvidias method of confguration (ie, on the advanced panel of the display properties settings).
PUTALE said:
yeah, I have to say, nvidia's way of dealing with driver is a lot better than ati. Nvidia's driver is something that ati can learn from(although I think ati has improved quite a lot).
Mictlantecuhtli said:
The new CCC doesn't even launch on 2003 x64. cli.exe crashes on startup every time.
mentaljedi said:
A petition? This will be amusing. Like to see how this works out. lol
Nic said:
Mictlantecuhtli said:
Chamot said:
CCC improved a lot in the last few releases but control panel is still a lot simpler and faster.
Nic said:
[b]Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by Nic:[/b][quote]cli.exe crashing usually means that the .NET framework and/or driver control panel hasn't been correctly installed. First, completely remove the old driver and control panel, then check that you have the .NET framework correctly installed, and finally install the new driver and control panel. This always works for me...and I like the new control panel.[/quote].NET framework 1.1 comes with x64. I had installed 2.0 a long time ago too.[/quote]Did you also uninstall the previous drivers AND previous control panel before ugrading to the new version?I know I didn't in the past and that's when I got problems with cli.exe errors...
Bartzy said:
Just installed the 5.13 Catalyst. Why there are 2 cli.exe processes ?? The RAM difference is noticeable and the in the previous version of the control panel was just better.Signed...
dbuske said:
The justice department really needs to check why CLI has 2 processes that connect to the internet. It has got to be spyware. It even gets around Zonealarm and punches holes though zonealarm and never asks permission.
brownpaper said:
CCC is not that bad. True, the early versions of CCC were horrible! I think that may have left a bad impression in people's minds. However, the newer versions are fairly quick and snappy. The original control panel was a bit confusing with all those tabs. The CCC does not seem to bewilder beginners as much with all the video options as the original control paneldbuske, the CLI.exe processes use .NET,so it need to open up a port. It doesn't actually connect to the internet but opening up the ports is how it communicates. I have Diskeeper and it does the same thing.
mtyson8 said:
True. CCC is better now, but its still basically the same features. A petition will say something, but i dont think enough people care to sign one, as you do have a lot of choices, even from the first version. Itll just get speedier. On the main slide bar(Performance---^-Quality), i didnt even think that did much, id always have it on quality. But then I played Call of Duty 2, and I actually have to slide it halfway to performance, rather than quality.