AMD experiences shortage of materials for Athlon 64

By Justin Mann on December 26, 2005, 5:19 AM
Three days ago, AMD apparently issued a letter to several of its partners stating that they are experiencing a shortage of packaging materials for a few of their processors, including the ever-popular Athlon 64 X2 3800+. I haven't seen the letter myself, and it doesn't appear on AMD's site, but it is clearly possible with the high demand during the holidays. With the success of these CPUs, any shortage is likely not to last long, but it may affect purchases in the near future. AMD is apparently now working with more suppliers to alleviate the situation.

otmakus said:
Rage_3K_Moiz said:
A sign of how more and more people r switching to AMD. All for the greater good, I say. Go AMD!
Crofty74 said:
Games start to get Dual Core patches and AMD hit packmat problems, heh! Well okay maybe the timing would have been a little out for this to be true.Im thinking demand may get higher in the new year though if more games get dual core support patches with decent FrameRate increases, not like you need a whole new O/S to gain the benefits or anything.
vnf4ultra said:
I guess if they can't find packaging, then just sell them OEM, many people want to use their own heatsink anyway. I think amd should open up a new plant to boost production if they are getting low on chips. I think there's plenty of demand to justify more production.
Bartzy said:
[b]Originally posted by otmakus:[/b][quote]I hope they can solve this soon, because no matter how cheap, fast, and reliable AMD is, if it's simply not available, everyone will have to buy Intel.[/quote]I dont think it will go too far as you said... I'm sure that we'll hear from TechSpot that everything is just fine and AMD has all the right materials...Although its indeed a problem because of the holidays, I don't think it's such a big issue. So some people will buy Intel. Boohoo, I'm sure it won't affect AMD drasticly.
PUTALE said:
otmakus said:
[b]Originally posted by PUTALE:[/b][quote]i wonder would this means that amd will raise their price up a little bit (I don't htink amd can afford to raise their price). It's interesting as it seems like amd has hold the price of their cpu for awhile now. It seems like they are now the high end cpu market while intel takes the low end market (it was the opposite like 4-5 years ago).[/quote]I don't think the situation has changed, AMD still packs better bang for the bucks, compared to Intel. It's just that AMD keeps releasing ever higher performance processors (which means more expensive), while Intel seems kinda stuck. Sempron is still cheaper than Celeron, barton cheaper than P4 socket 478, and so on.
MonkeyMan said:
NOO AMD!!!!!!! Man, I hope you guys at AMD get these things sorted out, I'm a fan of your software, and believe me, I do not want to cry over this day in and day out. Anyways, I'm sure that they'll come to a solution sooner or later, you've got to have faith in them ppl!!!!!!!!!!!Loving you to the very end of the very end,Your addictive customer,MonkeyMan
nimo333 said:
I guess AMD's company forgot about that they have been selling like crazy in these days. Anyhow, this is not a serious problem and I'm sure that it won't last more than a month.
nathanskywalker said:
wow, that is kind of funny. packaging materials...huh, they have the chips, but they just can't get them to you...hm...
blue_dragon said:
I dont see this as a problemAMD will continue to sell its chips and when its out just use the profit to make the packaging not the chip
asphix said:
I hate how you can never have a conversation involving Intel, AMD, Nvidia or ATI without fanboys showing their heads. Actually, add firefox to that list as well.That issue aside though, this is a complete non issue for anyone who wants to get their hands on an AMD chip. By "packaging material" I assume they mean the nice box, manual, warrenty paper and what not the chip comes with. How long does it take to print out and assemble some boxs?Unless I'm mistaken and packinging materials are those materials other than the core? Either way this is probably just a way of AMD telling their stockholders that due to the holiday season production is slowing slightly and nothing more.Now the x360.. THATS a shortage!
Rod_Massoudi said:
AMD has already established themselves, and I'm fairly confident, that as a result of these shortages, I wouldn't be surprised if AMD increases the prices on their CPU's. Either way, I have no doubt that AMD is more than capable of pulling themselves out of this crunch for the time being.Although, I have a sneaking suspicion that this letter could possibly be used to bump up prices on some of their more popular CPU's and use this dillusion of a shortage as an excuse...
Handyman said:
By packing materials AMD meant the PCB on which the core is housed. That's interesting because they usually had problems because of the core not the package. I think they will solve the problem after the holidays.[Edited by Handyman on 2005-12-27 06:32:29]
mentaljedi said:
I don't think AMD should raise their prices as this isn't a big deal but if they want it to be, they'll make it. I mayb switch to AMD later on in the new yaer, not sure yet, but i have a long time to look around. AMD better have any more glitches (That's all it is) otherwise i may not choose them when push comes to shove.