No Microsoft takeover, says Opera

By Derek Sooman on December 26, 2005, 6:52 AM
Opera is denying rumours that Microsoft is attempting to take it over. The company claims rumours that Microsoft is buying it out are unfounded. The denials were prompted by rumours spreading across the Net that a takeover is in place.

"Our phones have been ringing off the hook," said a spokesman for Opera. "But it's not true. We have not been bought, and we have not received any offers. It's just a rumour, like the Google rumour last week."

otmakus said:
If the rumor is proven to be true, Microsoft will only buy Opera for one thing, to dissolve it as soon as the deal is final, just like Symantec did to Sygate. I hope Opera's smart enough to oversee this.
vnf4ultra said:
I hope Opera doesn't get bought out, it's a nice browser, and I like having several good browser choices.
Phantasm66 said:
It would make a lot of sense right now for Microsoft to take over and dissolve Opera, and make an alliance with Mozilla.[url]http://www.techspot.com/news/19808-microsoft-to
adopt-firefoxs-rss-feed-icon.html[/url]
Bartzy said:
If Microsoft wants, it could buy Opera easily. They'll ofcourse do it to neutralize competetion in the Browsers market.But Microsoft's monopoly days are OVER. The world doesn't work like that anymore. You can just buy companies and then dissolve them, like otmakus said. It's not the way things are done.Anyway, maybe Microsoft really didn't offer anything to Opera, and I just accused them for being evil :)
MonkeyMan said:
Microsoft is one of, if not, the biggest company in the entire world. There isn't anything that Microsoft can't buy lol. You never know, because of these rumors, Microsoft may just decide to do it. Anyways, I love you Microsoft, you Multi Billion dollar, money making, pickle juice drinking, blonde hair dying, no competition anywhere thinking, lovable product producing, corporation. LOL I'm just kidding, but I love ya Microsoft, keep up the good work!!!!!!!
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by Bartzy:[/b][quote]Microsoft's monopoly days are OVER. The world doesn't work like that anymore.[/quote]Heh, I agree when customers can choose which operating system to have installed when buying a new PC from the biggest manufacturers.
nathanskywalker said:
ugh, hope that does not happen, the more browsers not specifically not controlled by microsoft the better. Microsoft seems to have a tendency to get cracked...corporation draws to much attetion or something...
Chamot said:
I occasionally switch to Opera and even though I use Firefox currently, it's probably right there with firefox in terms of quality. I hope this rumour remains a rumour.
Rod_Massoudi said:
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with the notion that "Microsoft's monopoly days are OVER..." In my personal opinion, I couldn't find that at all convincing. Last time I checked, Microsoft's yearly gross income was $45 billion, and that doesn't seem to be a number implying decline. Another example that is quite easy to prove, is that just recently the EU Commission threatened to fine $2.37 million a day as of Dec. 15th if they would not share "technical information" with competitors. Now, if they were declining as such a powerful corporation, would the EU really demand this of Microsoft? I'm fairly confident in that Microsoft is here to stay for atleast another decade or so... Also in regard to Opera, their best bet was to dispel these rumors immediately to avoid mass divestment in their company - hence making them even easier to buy out.
realblackstuff said:
This must be all hogwash, to hide the fact, that the next Windows incarnation (Vista) will have a built-in Antivirus/Antispyware program, namely "Windows Defender", which in reality is a re-named M$ AntiSpyware, in a slightly souped-up version.What do you think the likes of Symantec and McAfee will have to say about that?
mentaljedi said:
I don't like rumours but i have a feeling this one is false because Mircosoft is having way too many problems at the moment to even think of making a move that woul dmake them hated even more. e.g. EU getting angry.
Fly said:
If microsheit gets to buy Opera, I'm done using it. I might aswell use firefox then. :P