64-bit Half-Life 2 out

By Derek Sooman on December 26, 2005, 6:56 AM
Valve has unveiled a 64-bit version of Half-Life 2, which is intended to be played on AMD Athlon 64 FX processor-based systems. The company believes that combining the performance of AMD64 processors with the 64-bit version of Valve’s technology results in advanced and powerful games.

"Bringing the Source technology to the AMD64 processor platform is an important step in the evolution of our game content and tools," said Gabe Newell, Valve's co-founder and president. "This investment in future processing will allow us, and third party developers working with Source, to push the boundaries of the gaming experience."

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Fantastic! I'm going to get this one! But will it be worth it? Ah hell, I could do with a legal copy of HL2 ;)
otmakus said:
Half Life is not that resource gobbling, so I don't think the 64 bit version will have a significant performance boost. And it's kind of an old game already, I'm sure every game maniacs who can afford an AMD Athlon 64 FX rig would have already played it a long time ago.
vigilante said:
About time they started taking advantage of 64bit technology. If it doesn't significantly improve performance, then why switch to 64bit CPUs?But I do wonder if it will still run good over a 32bit OS?No, I wonder how it would run on the 64bit Windows? Hmmm, time for some benchmarks.
PUTALE said:
Fingally we can get use some of our 64bit enabled cpu. I wish the other comapnies, specially hardware makers will come up with drivers for the 64bit and the software industry can make a real push for it.
Bartzy said:
otmakus, It's not important if the game is the newest in the market or a little older. What's important is the performance benchmarks and tests that could be done to see the differences between 32 and 64 bit systems in games. I'm sure no one will sit and play Half-Life 2 all over again just because it supports 64 bit systems now.As for Valve - They didn't include Intel 64 bit support to the new version ? Why they designate the 64 bit version to AMD only ? Weird... probably money or some older deal :)
MonkeyMan said:
Just absolutely phenomenally awesome. HL2 is one of my favorite games of all time, it has awesometastic graphics and gameplay, that is second to none. Thank you Valve, I'd kiss you if it was at all possible lol. Good job Valve!!!!!
otmakus said:
I mean that it would be much better for a game maker to release a new game in 2 version, 32 and 64 bit, than to remake an old game noone played anymore to 64 bit. It's a waste of resources to remake an old game just to see the difference in performance benchmarks.I don't think software industry will be eager to push to 64 bit before Windows Vista comes out. There are just not enough people using Win XP 64 bit that it wouldn't be economical to make 64 bit softwares and drivers.
Chamot said:
Upgrading to a dual-core 64bit system very soon, so this and the Call of Duty 2 news are great for me. :)
nimo333 said:
I doubt that it will be any better than HL2 32-bit, I have the 32-bit version and I have a GF6600 and I still see some bugs in the game which shouldn't exist. The problem with HL2 is that it isn't fully compatible with Nvidia cards.
mastronaut said:
I thought HL2 was good, but not groundbreaking. I liked it except for those friggin zombie headcrab things. They need more of the airboat and car type sequences IMO. Those Antlions got a bit annoying after a while even when they became your allies. If it would 'grow up' a bit and be bloodier and more challenging it would be more fun. Oh wait, I already own F.E.A.R. Never mind.......
nimo333 said:
No, I loved HL2 for making it different than other games, it has twists in it and that of what makes it so great! Believe me, you wouldn't like HL2 if they have done just the same as other games. HL2 is not a quake game, it has its speciality in making it mild in fear. It's great because of its story and of its new inventions in gameplay and not about graphics.
Strakian said:
Well, I'm sure most people would agree with me that you don't buy HL2 for the HL2 game, you buy it for the mods. Counter strike, Day of Defeat, Ragdoll Kungfu, Black Mesa Project (A complete retooling of the original HL game made with the HL2 engine). We know it, and so does Valve, that the only reason the series has lasted this long is because of the community.Granted nowadays Valve owns all those modders and game mods, but that's besides the point. People still play original CS and DoD for HL, now that longevity.I'm excited for the news about a 64 bit version of HL2 though, as we are well on our way to Multithreaded games and 64 bit code. TO answer Vigilante's question, a 32 Bit processor will not run HL2 better. The idea behind 64 bit code is to utilize the new technology available in 64 Bit CPU's, including pipelines and different ways of processing. A 64 Bit version of something will not run well, if at all, on a 32 bit rig. That is to say, something that does not have the architecture that is being utilized by the code. :)
nathanskywalker said:
lol, two differrent versions, that should confuse some, non-geeks,hahahha. Well awesome though.
blue_dragon said:
hmmm fisrt step toward 64-bitIf better gameplay can be achieved with 64-bit, its great!!
PUTALE said:
isn't it interesting to see that the gaming industry is driving the software front for the advances in teh technology. You would think that with the dominance of MS windows, MS should be the dominance force, yet it's the gaming industry that's coming up with 64bit softwares first
Kaleid said:
Faster level loading but less performance seems to be the result:[url]http://techgage.com/review.php?id=3889[/url]
flavin said:
Crofty74 said:
Have to say well done to Valve.Shame I cant get a decent 64 bit firewall and so dont use Win 64 though...
Rod_Massoudi said:
HL2 at 64-bit. This should be very interesting, with streaming graphics, clear and smooth gameplay, I wouldn't be surprised if this evolves to be another hit on their hands. Needless to say, as mastronaut expressed, it's "not groundbraking" but games of this genre attract among the most passionate gamers, and even though it may not be the next era of gameplay, it's sure to please many gamers all over.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by flavin:[/b][quote]but isnt this both a good and a bad thing? a good thing for people with amd fx processors but a bad thing for people who cant afford them. and what if all games go to 64bit then what are we gonna do?but wait arent all AMD processors 64 & 32 bit?[/quote]Athlon 64 3000+ is about $120. It doesn't need to be the fastest 64-bit in order to work. Not all AMD CPUs are 64-bit, but many new ones are.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by Strakian:[/b][quote]Well, I'm sure most people would agree with me that you don't buy HL2 for the HL2 game, you buy it for the mods. Counter strike, Day of Defeat, Ragdoll Kungfu, Black Mesa Project (A complete retooling of the original HL game made with the HL2 engine).[/quote]An important point - will all the mods work with 64-bit HL2?
Handyman said:
It's about time to see some 64-bit software come out. Well I'll go 64-bit as soon as Windows Vista comes out although I still do some 16-bit programming :)). Hope 64-bit code will bring faster gameplay. HL2 is a great game but i'm NOT going to reinstall.
mentaljedi said:
64-bit. I'm following this very closly and with news like this, perhaps its worth the extra money. Well done Valve for a step in the right direction... even if hardly anyone wil lget the game anyway.