First Intel Yonah dual-core laptop to market?

By Derek Sooman on December 27, 2005, 8:09 PM
About a year or so ago, I stopped using my desktop PC so much, and moved on to using a laptop regularly. Joining the ranks of the mobile has done a great deal for me - I am no longer chained to my desk at home and can do just about anything anywhere. True, I don't have quite the raw power that the desktop system used to afford me, but since I am not really so much into games as in years gone by, itís a trade off that I can make. Still, I often miss the sheer power that the desktop system gave me (especially when running VMware), and do long for a mobile system that has the same power as a desktop, whilst at the same time being light and portable.

That's why I am so excited to read about the first Intel Yonah dual-core mobile systems appearing. The first of these that I have been able to spot is the Lavie RX LR900 laptop from NEC. This system will be based on Windows XP Home Edition and ship with 512MB of main memory and a 100GB drive. It will have a 14.1-inch LCD (liquid crystal display), a DVD Super Multi drive (DVD-R/+R, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW/+RW), 802.11a/b/g WiFi and Bluetooth. The machine will weigh about 2kgs and the battery will provide enough power to last about four hours.

The RX LR900 laptop should go on sale in the first half of 2006, after Yonah has been released in the first quarter of that year. It will carry a $1,945 base price tag. Whether this, or a notebook from Apple will be the first Yonah-based laptop to market remains to be revealed.

kimala-acer said:
This is a good laptop if it will run for 1000$. You can check also this laptop for 100$ (linux) from the OLPC (One Laptop per child) by MIT Media Lab.
Bartzy said:
1000$ for a Yonah dual-core notebook ? I really think you are wrong. Notebooks are far more complex than desktop computers and you can just compare their prices with those of desktop computers.I think that another great advantage of notebook computers is that all the computer is coming together in one piece. Unlike a desktop computer, a mobile one is a whole product. You don't need to install anything, no wires, no complications. And people love that. They actually love the idea that when they open the box, they get a working product. I think it's a great way of marketing notebooks computers :)
vnf4ultra said:
PUTALE said:
I am really excited about Yonah as well. I really like the fact htat Yonah finally is able to bring the dual core into the mobile market and keep the performance in par with amd yet the power consumption is still as low as today's mobile chip. I can't wait to get one (of course I need to have enough money first:)).
CrossFire851 said:
[b]Originally posted by vnf4ultra:[/b][quote]It costs nearly $1000 to get a decent centrino notebook with a pentium m, so I'd expect a dual core pentium m(yonah) to be a lot more money, since it's new. The system listed has win xp home though, don't dual cores need xp pro?[/quote]They need WIN XP PRO X64 EDITION to make better use of the cpu.
thrudd said:
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by thrudd:[/b][quote]Thats right WIN XP PRO X64 EDITION to actually use any of the capability of the processors.But still, all those saying a notebook is better than a desktop are just fooling themselves.Notebooks are designed around one set of engineering specifications- low power - light weighteverything else goes to the wayside- cost- speed- functionality- flexibility / upgradeabilityTake a look at your components $ for $Desktop is cheaper, faster, bigger physically, uses more juice and is scaleable / upgradeablecompare hard drives - desktop drives are half or less the cost and are two generations fasterI can have a RAID (and I do) in my desktop but a notebook has only one small slow primary HDD.A notebook is great at what it is designed for - easily transportable work station for basic functionality - You want power you get a desktop - nobody in their right mind would run CAD of any complexity on a notebook though the power is getting there with these new systems, the costs are much higher for the same ability.There is the one middle ground - the transportable desktop - integrated like a notebook but uses desktop components - the modern version of the lugable (like some of the newer MACs) ;)[/quote]Interesting, i wonder how far Vista and Yonah will push down costs? Or even raise them?
Mictlantecuhtli said:
I wonder if it's really a laptop - a computer that you can keep on your lap without getting first degree burns.
PanicX said:
Not likely, I haven't come across such a device in years. However just install [url=http://www.roadtools.com/product.html]this fine piece of hardware[/url] and your laptop is again reborn.
sngx1275 said:
[b]Originally posted by thrudd:[/b][quote]Thats right WIN XP PRO X64 EDITION to actually use any of the capability of the processors.I can have a RAID (and I do) in my desktop but a notebook has only one small slow primary HDD.[/quote]Several notebook manufacturers have systems avaiable with RAID. I'd also argue that unless you are doing video editing or some extensive graphical work, today's notebooks are going to be plenty fast for you. If you are doing that kind of work and have to be the fastest out there, then of course you want to stick with desktops, but you could probably skip buying that new processor, graphics card, ram, hd and instead buy the same speed system you are currently using, but this time in a notebook.
michelena2000 said:
I thought the price said $1945? Where are you getting $1,000? That is a bit pricey for me!
johnny_838 said:
I think Intel yonah processor will be the fastest processor ever. but the price may be costly.. Laptop review blog
johnny_838 said: