A surge of entertainment PCs expected

By Derek Sooman on December 27, 2005, 3:07 PM
The demand for entertainment PCs based on the Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition is expected to surge in 2006, according to sources at Taiwan PC makers. Spurred on by Intelís upcoming launch of its "Viiv" consumer PC platform, the entertainment PC is set to be the must-have center of the home multimedia experience.

An entertainment PC could feature a variety of built-in multimedia capabilities, including DVD and receiver, digital/analog TV and digital sound appliances. With a remote control in hand, entertainment PCs could present streamed audio and video capabilities, to fulfill the concept of a "digital home," the sources commented.

PanicX said:
For some reason the term "Duh" comes to mind.
asphix said:
haha, I agree with PanicX. With the x360, the push to HD televisions and all we all knew this was coming.I'm looking to build a new PC toward the end of 2006. I might just wait till Vista ships in 2007. By then maybe laptops will have more options available to them as stand in HTPC's as that would be my ideal solution.
phantasm66 said:
My ideal solution is a yonah based Vista notebook, paired with a Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition powered multimedia server with 1 TB plus RAID disk space on it for storing movies.
PanicX said:
Why MCE over MythTV?
PUTALE said:
Well, for one thing MCE is MS based and it's kind of a whole package whiel mythTV is a program I guess. I think MS need to work better to get their MCE work better for average home use. As it is now, it's still largely Windows based, I think in order for it to be truely simple home entertainment, we need a more userfirendly and more simple yet easy to use OS.I think eventually we will see home entertainment that's packed with all the feature of multimedia and it will replace all the DVD, VHS, high def, etc. BUt it will look less and less like pc but rather blend into today's entertainment system.
Bartzy said:
I have 5 "floors" of all kinds of players and receivers in my watching room. DVD, VHS, receiver, CD player and a TV tuner.All 5 can be replaced by a HTPC. the VHS could be replaced by a single DVDRW drive in the computer... So why not ? If it would just cost less, I would run and buy (or build) one.
phantasm66 said:
I have not used VHS in years. Its crap. I use a PC for all media tasks now. Shame I don't have massive amounts of disk space yet, or I would not even bother copying the files out to disk at all.
mentaljedi said:
I'm buying a laptop in June/July 2006 (don't ask y), so by then i would be able to buy a laptop that can house a future vista release and perhpas this. but i agree with phantasm66, more disk space!!!