Europe launches satellite for global navigation

By Derek Sooman on December 28, 2005, 7:06 PM
Europe has launched the Giove-A satellite into space, which will provide a global navigation system that offers much greater accuracy than today's global positioning systems (GPS).

The Galileo project is an attempt to create a network of satellites that will be capable of calculating a location to within a few inches.

On Wednesday, the first Galileo satellite was blasted into orbit on the back of a rocket fired from Kazakhstan. This satellite, called Giove-A, was built by a British firm called Surrey Satellite Technology. The complete network will eventually consist of 30 satellites when it is completed in 2010, and will cost an estimated 2.2bn.

Galileo is a joint venture between the European Union and the European Space Agency. The UK is playing a major role, and has already contributed 92m to the project.

Galileo will help provide new services, such as advanced satellite navigation and better mobile location information.

nathanskywalker said:
[url]http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-12/esa-grt12
305.php[/url]
realblackstuff said:
Maybe they can finally help me locate my bicycle that was stolen in 1952 (black with chrome wheels, and a Mickey Mouse bell on the right handle-bar).
sngx1275 said:
*Note to self* Do Not buy a new GPS until 2010 or later. I hope mine lives til then.
MonkeyMan said:
kimala-acer said:
wow MonkeyMan, I respect your freakopinion but I do not agree. At least when you have competition between companies, The end-user (consumer) will get a better deal for a cheaper price.Any way, you will need this service if you travel outside the states.
realblackstuff said:
MonkeyMan, had too many "magic mushrooms" over Xmas or have you been doing some "star-gazing"?Your comment is indeed rather "off-topic".
kokomen said:
Im sure that this type of satellite is at least "a good investement" when you compared it vs other ones that is supposed to be used on battles.We need one inch of accuraccy? I dont think so, but, Europe must spend their leftover money... waste and waste...2010?? Lets see what happened next 4 years.Sorry my English
sngx1275 said:
[b]Originally posted by kimala-acer:[/b][quote]Any way, you will need this service if you travel outside the states.[/quote]Why? The current US backed GPS system works worldwide. The EU one is just going to provide greater resolution. But like said above me, do we really need 1 inch resolution? I think the current system is accurate within 10 feet or so.
poertner_1274 said:
Yes for some reason I thought it was 14 feet. But either way that's good enough for the average person.
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by MonkeyMan:[/b][quote]Well, this is a feeble attempt of the European Union to gain superpower status. Maybe some of you may not know, but the European Union is looking to surpass the United States as far as the dominant superpower of the world is concerned. After the Iraq war, there have been tensions between the United States, and much of the world, but moreso with the European Union. If any of you believe in prophecy, it is said that the European Union will someday become the dominant superpower, and that they will reign havoc on the world lead by a brutal dictator worse than Adolf Hitler. He will bring about World War 3, and will start a nuclear war with the United States, and much of the world. In bible prophecy, God is supposed to save man from destroying himself, by returning to the earth to save the righteous and those who are true to him, and believe in him, and they will go to heaven. Everyone else who is left on earth, will face its disasters, and world war 3. It is supposed to be lead by a man that some bible scholars call the Anti-Christ. He will try to lead ppl away from Jesus and God, by giving them a triple digit number (most of you know what that number is, but I will not state it). This number, will mark you to eternal damnation if you receive it. And you will feel the wrath of God, by being here on earth, and witnessing its atrocities. This scares most ppl, and I'll stop here, because I could go on, and on, and on, but I've studied these things, and I do believe that they will happen. So, I know I'm off the subject by talking about this, but I just want all of you to be prepared for what lies ahead, and for you to recieve Jesus in your heart, and pray for all of your sins to be forgiven. And go to church, and serve him, for there is an eternal reward for this. So, I say in this closing statement, Love Jesus, and believe that he died on the cross for our sins, and ask him for forgiveness, and to help you lead your life, the way its supposed to be lead. Pray for those less fortunate, and also for those who have not recieved jesus in their hearts. Forgive them all amen.[/quote]Somebody's been hanging with a fanatic. I mean, the EU is close to breaking apart and your worried about it taking over the world? not going to happen mate. As for this sattelite thing, don't u feel its getting a bit crowded up there? Oh, and as for not buying a GPS until 2010, by the time we get to 2009 or something, they'll od another one of these making us wait another 5 yearas etc... no point in waiting, otherwise i'd be waiting for a new laptop for... forever. lol