Pioneer unveils Blu-ray drive for PCs

By Derek Sooman on December 28, 2005, 8:03 PM
In the latest in the next generation DVD format wars, it has been revealed that Pioneer Electronics has released a high-definition Blu-ray DVD disc drive for personal computers. According to the company, the drive is aimed primarily at professional users like content creators or studios, who can use it to test and evaluate Blu-ray disc titles during the authoring process before replication.

Meanwhile, industry analysts believe that Toshiba will launch notebook PCs with HD DVD drives in the spring of 2006. Giants Intel and Microsoft have endorsed the HD DVD format, claiming that it integrates more easily with personal computers.

Both Sony Blu-ray and the rival HD DVD will be unveiled next month at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

DragonMaster said:
Pioneer has a Blu-ray computer drive, invents a 500GB optical disk and supports also HD-DVD. And also, Maxell wants to build 1.6TB disks. There are not 2 but 4 formats coming. I have the impression that the Pioneer UV and Maxell holographic disks will be more like iomega ZIP than anything else.
Chamot said:
Strakian said:
They better pick a winner before a majority of the consumers get confused about what is compatible with what. When DVD's came out and DVD burners were on the rise, noone could match up the DVD-R, DVD+R stuff and that was just one format.If they don't figure out which one is the new standard soon, it's going to be very intersting indeed.
otmakus said:
I'm sure like every new technology, this blu-ray drive will cost an arm and a leg, so everyone will be better off waiting till the dust settles and the winner is decided.Also a format war like this one has good point too, it will make the price comes down quicker.
PUTALE said:
with MS and Intel supporting HD DVD, I think maybe the market will leaning toward HD DVD, however, there are still supporters for blue ray. To be honest I really hope that regardless of which one, the whole industry can just standarize to 1 format, it will really make our life much easier.
nathanskywalker said:
[url]http://www.blu-ray.com/[/url] A little something on blue ray discs...
Mictlantecuhtli said:
War on Recordable Media?I think I'll wait until the price drops, and the first (or second) generation problems have been solved.
phantasm66 said:
Getting a DVD drive into a PC pushed the market for DVD players in general. Might the same not happen for Blu-Ray now?
omegaweopon said:
Sony had been considering using Blu Laser for its PS3 so that its games could hold more content. Also because it was blu laser it presented certain disk copy protection. However with the use of Blu laser drives the disk protection goes right down the drain. Poor sony.
Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Blu-Ray does provide more content. The biggest cause of Sony using it in the PS3 IMO is because its their own format so the costs will be greatly reduced. As regarding the Blu-Ray drive, we have yet to see dual-layer DVD recordable media yet and I'm surprised to see Blu-Ray taking the lead over this format, support for which has been available for years but the media has never been released, at least not where I live.
Nic said:
[b]Originally posted by Chamot:[/b][quote]Anyone know what the price of this and the media will be initially? I think that might be the deciding factor in deciding the outcome of this format war.[/quote][quote]"...the drive is aimed primarily at professional users like content creators or studios..."[/quote]Judging by the intended market this drive is likely to be very expensive when initially released..
asphix said:
If i'm not mistaken both Blu-ray and HD-DVD use a blue lazer.Blu-ray has a higher capacity. However media costs more to produce, and drives will cost more due to royalty fees. They will also be more prone to scratches due to having a very shallow surface depth.HD-DVD holds less data but is much cheaper to produce media for. The hardware (drives) will also be potetntially MUCH cheaper.I wont buy either until I see which will take over as the dominant format. Currently it was looking like blu-ray was winning, but with Microsoft throwing its weight around we might see a slight change.I'm personally a fan of HD-DVD because of the cheaper costs. The higher capacity of blu-ray to me isnt note worthy as we are already leaping ahead quite a bit from our 9GB dual layer DVD disks. HD-DVD will provide enough space to last up till 2010 or so when it will be ready to be replaced yet again with another solution. All the while being offered at a more attractive price point.I'm sort of getting sick of this whole "war" though... Just let one win and make a decision.. 8+ months of publicity and bickering is enough for anyone.
MonkeyMan said:
This is ground breaking technology, this drive will lead to great, and creative things that will be developed during its lifetime. Expect to see amazing things from this baby!!!!!!! woohoo!!!!!! I'm just lovin new technolgy!!!!!
Eleventeen said:
Cant wait to buy this one. Although it wouldn't really be worth the money, since it will probably go down in price as the months go by. It would be nice to have though.
Kaleid said:
I'm drooling over the thought of having movies in HD resolutions and audio up to DVD-A standards all on one format. Screw SACD and DVD-A (they never took of anyway)...bluray can bring highres to the masses.
kimala-acer said:
Well, theoretically this is good. But I had a lot of trouble with my pioneer DVR, and the company's website is useless for troubleshooting. I am not taking sides between blu-ray and HD. But, I'd rather be cautious on trying these 2 formats. you do not want to buy a writer for one format, and then this format will fall in disfavor, and nobody will use it.
CrossFire851 said:
[b]Originally posted by asphix:[/b][quote]9GB dual layer DVD quote]There are 8.5GB.......BIG difference.
PUTALE said:
I thought Blue ray offers close to 20 or 30gig of storage and HD dvd offers close to 50gig or so (or other way around).
PanicX said:
Kreuger said:
I personally don't care which company/format becomes standardized. The idea of having that much space on a single disc is amazing. Imagine backing up/cloning a whole drive to one hd-dvd/blu-ray (which ever). That's awesome. I wonder how fast we'll be able to write these discs?
luvhuffer said:
So Blue Ray is 50GBs and HD-DVd is 45GBs. I don't think I'll be using either. Especially when InPhase Technologies, a Lucent Labs spin off is going to be coming out with disks, holding 300GB each, using so-called Tapestry Holographic Memory Technology to store data by interference of light. They are also able to read and write data at 10 times the speed of a normal DVD. They will be able to hold 26 hours of broadcast quality High definition video on one 300GB disk. Read this article, and you may want to decide to wait too. How long? They say they are ready to come to market in 2006, probably while Blue-Ray and HD-DVD are still screwing around with their offerings. The article goes into more specific detail about how the technology works.[url]http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2146751/300-gb-
isc-set-challenge-dvd[/url]
brownpaper said:
I would probably get the HD-DVD since it is cheaper to produce. I don't want anything that would be more expensive. Then again, I want to get a PS3 so I hope I do not have to get both formats.
CountMackulaHPT said:
It seems to me that HD-DVD is the only one that has a shot to make it here, because it's backwards compatible, and inexpensive. I personally think computers and home entertainment is moving towards net downloads. Believe it or not, a lot of average computer users have the knowledge to rip CD's to hard drive and are now pretty used to working with files on a computer. Not everyone, but a significant amount of people do now. I think that people have learned a lot about these kind of things from working with music, photos, and movies on their computers. As soon as they all have 360s or other media extenders, and wireless devices that can all access their central computer with 400+ GB of hard drive space, and wireless speeds on the verge of catching up to broadband speeds with long range, who will need removeable, destructible, scratchable media? Welcome to the digital home...y'know, the one that people have been talking about for years now?
smtkr said:
[b]Originally posted by CountMackulaHPT:[/b][quote]It seems to me that HD-DVD is the only one that has a shot to make it here, because it's backwards compatible, and inexpensive.[/quote]That makes sense, but the world of tech does not always make sense. Sony could really push blu-ray with the PS3.
thomasxstewart said:
remember that only way to use blu ray or hologram is from hdtv video camera AT PRESENT. IF YOU OWN MOVIE, BUYING CAPUTE EQUIPMENT & RECORDER STILL MEANS YOU CAN'T SELL IT OR EVEN SHARE IT, IN FACT BLINDING BARB ARE REQUIRED FOR EACH VIEWER TO PROMTLY ENFORCE NO FURTHER VIOLATIONS.(UNLESS YOUR DIPLOMATIC). SO AT SOME POINT USER CAN BUY NEW FORMAT MOVIE OR TRY TO CAPTURE OFF SCREEN TODAY, YET DOES IT REALLY FLY WELL WITH DRM, WHICH IN VISTA VIIV WILL BREAK YOUR EQUIPMENT PERMANENTLY & FOREVER, AS VIIV WAS DEVELOPED IN VIET NAM & SIMILAR TO SONIES PRESENT DRM PROBLEMS OF ONE USE & THEN EQUIPMENT BREAKS IRREPAIRABLY. BLU RAY GREAT, THERE ARE 100 GB DISCS BEING MADE TOO, ITS PEOPLE WHO ARE MAKING EXTREME MISTAKE.SIGNED:PHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.
werew said:
but movie and software when is available?
thrudd said:
Everyone is seeming looking at the cost of the media iself at this period in time .... Totally silly since the dollar costs will drop as more manufacturing capacity comes on line.Here is the real question that may stop you in you viewing copying tracks .... what is attached to the technology in the way of DRM and such that may limit and control you in ways you never really wanted or intended but the manufacturers do.Rememebr, the RIAA and their ilk are still looking for the golden fleece of getting you to pay big bucks for crap and having no say (or rights) in what you get.
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by PanicX:[/b][quote]BluRay at a dual layer density is about 50Gbs. HD-DVD at a triple layer density is about 45Gbs. BluRay is currently developing quad layer density of 100Gbs as well. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD-DVD]HD DVD on Wiki[/url][/quote]Holy... how confusing. Dual, triple, quad... godamit! Do they purposly confuse us or wat? I'll just do what every stmart person would do and wait...
DragonMaster said:
Hehehe... 4-layersWe're getting near to Maxell's holographic disks.
Race said:
Even though I could use a new computer, this is yet another reason why I've decided to hold off (along with the release of Vista) for the second half of '06'. Hopefully, these issues will be sorted by then.......(and I'll have the funds together)!Actually, this seems like a good move for anyone thinking about a new system.
luismigilbert said:
i's going to take a while before i got a new optical drive...i think it's better to sit and wait for the most compatible/better performance technology..