Overstock.com CEO makes bold statements

By Justin Mann on December 28, 2005, 7:26 PM
A company CEO isn't always the best choice for public relations, and popular online retailer Overstock.com probably isn't an exception. Overstock.com has earned a lot of fame in the past few years for being a one size fits all retailer that deals exclusively online, but offering far beyond just techie items. Patrick Bryne, a CEO of the company recently went on interview with some rather “interesting” statements, including talking about bodies being found in his trunk and griping about a “Sith Lord” set to dismantle the company. Or at least, that's what you'll see at the Register. It wouldn't be the first time a company was spearheaded by a nut, but sometimes the craziest group of people can do amazing things. Then again, the actions of one CEO do not represent the company itself, or so most disclaimers would have you believe. Read it for yourself, it's almost hard to believe.

nathanskywalker said:
Well, what do you know/ hmmm... Well yes, i don't know how much control a CEO really has... but just as the president really has much less power than most people would think, i would not overestimate his power...Then again, of course, be wary of the company if the "Boss" is not an honorable person...at least, that is what i think.
asphix said:
People who are werid like that are usually really fun to work for. People who are happy at work, provide a better service. Maybe the guy is just a fun, expressive and interestingly sarcastic person?He has to be somewhat on the ball to be a CEO of a company that isnt going under. So that adds weight to the assumption that hes just has a funny/weird personality.
barfarf said:
Patrick Bryne is at least a oddball. Might even be fun to work for. But making statements that hurt stock price of your own company no matter how you look at is bad bad bad. I like the reason why Mark Cuban decided to shorted (meaning he makes money when the stock price goes down) overstck.com. He said the since Bryne is more or less crazy the company is bound to do badly eventually. Wonder if i should short too. =)
MonkeyMan said:
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by MonkeyMan:[/b][quote]People that have a crazy personality, are the ones that bring "Life" to the workjob. It would bring about the question before going to work, "What in the world is he going to do today?" I know it is very interesting to work with this guy, and those that do, may tell you some pretty crazy stories about him. Long live insane and crazy ppl!!!!!! I don't know what I would do without them.[/quote]Heh, true in this politically correct world.
Masque said:
I don't know....this guys is about 3 circuits short of a complete board. I read this some time back and my thinking is he will soon fall out of favor with most. With this kind of advertising, are people actually going to trust shopping there? I know I'd have to think twice.
PanicX said:
[quote]...admitting that he lied about being gay and a coke-head to financial analysts...[/quote]Lied that he is, or that he isn't? There's a big distinction to be made that they left out.
Crofty74 said:
I love this guy already, I bet hes making every bodies party list at the moment.I just hope it all turns into a huge success story, that will make it all the funnier.
brownpaper said:
[b]Originally posted by MonkeyMan:[/b][quote]People that have a crazy personality, are the ones that bring "Life" to the workjob. It would bring about the question before going to work, "What in the world is he going to do today?" I know it is very interesting to work with this guy, and those that do, may tell you some pretty crazy stories about him. Long live insane and crazy ppl!!!!!! I don't know what I would do without them.[/quote]I would not work for that CEO of Oracle. That guy is a nut and he is a big jerk!
mentaljedi said:
Sith Lord? Lucas... what are u up to now?This guy is funny, crazy, but funny. I wouldn't invest in him unless he was put in a cage with crazy monekys and filmed. That i would invest in!
luismigilbert said:
i won't visit overstock.com...what if i he decides to make something funny with my order...maybe he is good as CEO...