Trojan targets Spanish-speaking bank customers

By Derek Sooman on December 29, 2005, 6:11 PM
Utilising a new fusion of spyware and phishing techniques, a recently discovered Trojan is threatening Spanish-speaking bank customers. Nabload.U, which distributes using MSN Messenger, has made a target of online bank users in traditionally Spanish-speaking countries. Both technical and social engineering techniques have been used to get PC users to download the Trojan.

Once it infects a computer, Nabload.U downloads another trojan, Banker.bsx, which captures a user's password and emails the information back to its author.

PandaLabs said the trojan is unusual because it captures passwords without the use of a traditional keylogger, thus leaving the user unaware of the breach. Banks that use virtual keyboards have not been immune from the virus.

Crofty74 said:
First thing I do with any new computer set up is Uninstall MSN Messenger, if it ever reinstalls itself via a service pack I again Unistall it, I always found Messenger intrusive and that deemed it removable for me (not simple disabled - command line uninstalled).Hopefully this will bring back the issue of Messenger on computers by default.
eisbaer said:
Well ... of course if you do not use MSN Messenger ... it would be moot to worry about the virus or uninstalling the feature ;)
smtkr said:
MSN messenger is fine as long as you don't click suspicious links.
MonkeyMan said:
Wow, now I don't think i'll ever use messenger again, I mean, I use it to talk to the ever so lovely females and such, but If I can be hacked because of it, I'm not sure If I'd want to use it. Besides, I think yahoo messenger is a little better than MSN, because it distributes your chat information more fluently. Well, Well, I guess that means my females on MSN, will never get a chance to speak to the hunkmaster!!!!!!! Man, Why in the hell do I have to be so good looking?
asphix said:
All software has vulnerabilities. Its just a matter of whats popular, and whats not so popular.Even the coveted secure mac OS is starting to look at anti-virus software due to suspected increased hacker attention. The issue isnt the software, its the malware creators.
otmakus said:
You can get viruses too from Yahoo Messenger. Actually u can get viruses from anywhere if u're not careful. It's only common sense to never click on any suspicious links, wherever it is.
canadian said:
One word people, Trillian.
luvhuffer said:
Interesting that it is just targeting Spanish speaking people. If it's that successful, I suspect English speaking users will be seeing it soon. My son is an AIM user, so all I ever use instant messaging for is talking to him. So this isn't a worry for me. Messaging through IM programs on computers and cell phones is going to see increased security threats in the future, as the malware and virii writers get more sophisticated in their implementation of social engineering techniques, especially as a large number of IM users are young and not very security conscious.The MSN Messenger 8.0 Beta is another good example of social engineering but rather than appealing to younger users, it targets those tech savvy people who always want to be o the cutting edge. MS should make sure the beta testers who were trying to sell the legit Messenger Beta on E-bay, lose their beta testing privileges[Edited by luvhuffer on 2005-12-30 17:42:17]
mentaljedi said:
Many may think that the Spanish are a minority, but iets like the second or third biggest language spoken. English will defintly be next, though i'm not sure if American and English (UK) are considered the same thing when it comes to software. like... MS word?
realblackstuff said:
Some of those viruswriters will be out of a job some time soon.The Chinese government, now Korea, some government agencies (and whole city administrations) in Germany and France, are all turning to Linux.Fed-up with paying top-dollars to Micro$haft for software with more holes than an Emmental cheese!
blue_dragon said:
Hey I speak Spanish...I know what it is like for people who have a remote chance of speaking English..they are very vulnerable ...I hope someone does something against this threat or at least enlightens people about it :D