KDE 4 to feature OS X style Dashboard widgets

By Justin Mann on January 2, 2006, 2:11 PM
KDE 4 is something a lot of us using Linux for the desktop are anticipating. According to one of the lead developers of the KDE project, release 4 will feature Dashboard widgets, much in the same way that is used for BSD-based OS X. Although that may sound like a minor change, it means that code for widgets between both OS X and KDE will be “almost” seamless and be able to function in both environments. Not only does this spurn further development, it bridges more of the gap that exists between PC and Mac, for good or for bad. Some believe this will result in more “Apple” creations becoming standard on the desktop in the years to come.

Rhianntp said:
I personally love KDE :) This is great news
PanicX said:
Something about applications interoperability between OS's makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. They've instantly expanded the audience for an authors work at no cost to the content creator. This allows more creativity into more areas, and allows a user to migrate more smoothly to whichever platform best suits their needs. If KDE can get a GUI that performs and feels as good as Darwin, that will be a major leap into desktop usability of the Linux OS as a whole.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
Noxious Ninja said:
I wish I had a lot of money to throw at the people working on KDE and X.org. I want my super-spiffy XEGL+KDE4 desktop now, dammit!:P
luismigilbert said:
good for linux users..
mentaljedi said:
Linux users will be happy at this news.
Kreuger said:
That's pretty sweet. I'm still using 3.4 because whenever I try to install 3.5, something doesn't want to update and causes problems.
raystorm said:
[b]Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli:[/b][quote]The first thing I did when I got Tiger was removing those widgets. I didn't find any use to them especially considering they're not on the desktop all the time, you'll have to press a key to enable Dashboard, and then you can't do anything else on the desktop until you disable it again.I have yet to see an useful widget. Computer status? I have several utilities to see that. Weather? I can look outside, check forecast from web or from TV. Calendar? I have a real calendar on my table.A daily comic strip? I can check them from web or from newspaper.RSS? The only RSS feed I use is the BBC News one which comes with Firefox.[/quote]Yea I think those widgets are neat but I have yet to find one I would use on a daily basis. I don't have a mac or use linux but I tried out that Konfabulator problem and went through the list of stuff to use and couldn't find one. I could see how useful it is for some but at the moment I really dont see the need for it.
barfarf said:
I only have played around with Gnome and KDE but i do like the new Tiger MacOS X. As PanicX said having better interoperability makes for great things. For those who are interested here are other items that may be seen in KDE 4.0.[url]http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-4
0-features.html[/url]