TiVo puts Series3 device on display at CES

By Justin Mann on January 6, 2006, 10:45 AM
After a press release a few weeks ago announcing the impending release, at the Consumer Electronics Show this week, TiVo has put their Series3 CableCARD device on display. Supporting HDTV, it can accept both digital/analog cable signals(hence the CableCARD support), has an external SATA port to add storage to the device, a redesigned remote, support for the highest resolutions and, if you take a look at the photos, looks quite nice. Definitely would fit in a modern entertainment center without much trouble. Series3 also supports more up to date codecs for higher quality video.

”The box unit still encodes analog content as MPEG2, like the current units, but it supports playback of advanced codecs such as MPEG4 AVC/H.264. This will open up the possibilities of broadband content using more efficient codecs, including HD downloads.”
Previous models had USB and ethernet, which this also features, as well as several methods for video output for varied display hardware. One thing the blog mentions is that the external drive connector for SATA isn't designed to be brought to other machines, instead being maybe a fluid part of the filesystem, so that pulling the drive may result in the loss of content not entirely stored on it, nor would you be able to view content on other computers.

MonkeyMan said:
PUTALE said:
TiVo really revolutionize the whole recording TV. I have never own one but it looks like it's a nice product. The new codec is nice as the whole industry seems to be moving toward that stnadard.
asphix said:
I agree MonkeyMan. I also think these devices need to really work to continue to capture consumers praise as Home Theater PC's equipped with Windows MCE shrink in size and become more attractive on a home theater rack.If you have the money, I would still prefer things like tivo over a HTPC simply because it looks to fit the part better and is much easier to set up and integrate into your existing home theater setup. But that will change very soon as hardware is refined and MCE equipped PC's and their versitale nature catch more consumer interest.[Edited by asphix on 2006-01-06 12:45:21]
conniecoe said:
[b]Originally posted by MonkeyMan:[/b][quote]This is awesome, being that this device supports not only HDTV, but it can support digital and analog cable systems, in which I think is an added plus. Improving the video quality of Mpeg videos is a blockbuster. I don't know about all of you, but I think its about time that the Mpeg resolutions see an advancement, in terms of visuals.[/quote]
mentaljedi said:
Yes. THis is just one of the many revolutions we will see in 2006. I can't wait, i'm bubbling iwth excitment as we speak. But i must confess that... its not something most of us will have at the moment. BUt it will lead to great things, of that i assure you.
exscind said:
Oh wow, not sure how I missed reading this article. This definitely looks very nice. By being able to support both digitial and analog, it only widens its versatility; this is not to mention the options for video outputs, etc.But of course, this is one of those things that won't be widespread for some time to come. Media coverage and advertising is a big factor for marketing, and it is unfortunate with the lack of them this is something that is still unheard of in many homes and families. I think this is something that has good potential in the future, and while I've never used it, if it becomes really common who knows.