ASUS reverses GPU placement on passively cooled 6600

By Justin Mann on January 6, 2006, 11:45 AM
Though it seems almost completely obvious, ASUS is actually “innovating” by making a video card that has a the GPU on the other side of the PCB. Violating the ATX specification, reorienting the GPU in such a fashion results in a card that actually has (so you'd think) better heat dissipation in a standard setup. Rather than warm air getting potentially trapped underneath the card, this helps pull heat off it more efficiently. Needed, for sure, as video cards quickly approach CPUs as the most power-greedy components in a desktop system. The Extreme N6600TOP Silent is such a card that ASUS is making available, and is completely passively cooled, making reversing placement even more of a benefit. Asus claims the temperature difference can be as much as 30 F as compared to a standard 6600. The card isn't available for retail yet.

vnf4ultra said:
That's a great idea. I guess a potential buyer would have to be sure the heatsink doesn't hit the motherboard chipset cooler and/or cpu cooler first before buying though, as either could potentially be a problem. Another solution to this would be to get one of those new cases where the regular atx boards are mounted "upside down", since in this case a regular video card would have the heatsink facing up as well. Interesting... A possible drawback to having a heatsink on top would be that it would collect dust more(due to settling), and then be more likely to overheat if there is enough dust build up on the heatsink.[Edited by vnf4ultra on 2006-01-06 12:00:36]
DragonMaster said:
An heatsink under the card and with a fan collects maybe more dust.Being an audio DIYer, I know that heatsink placement is really important with passive cooling. An amplifier would not last long with the heatsink in the wrong direction. The best way to cool something down is with the heatsink vertically positioned, so that the air can come in from the bottom and go out by the top. That's simple physics : hot air goes up, there's no secret with this. If you have a fan, you can place it anywhere as long as the air path is not restricted.
PUTALE said:
I think it's a cool idea as it will free up some spaces on already crowded bottom of the mobo. Though I wonder with this unique placement of the gpu would actaully block some other components.
Masque said:
Rage_3K_Moiz said:
It's innnovative surely but is there any proof of this card actually having temperatures lower than those of one with the heatsink in the right direction? Or is this purely hypothetical?
raystorm said:
Neat idea but I'd like to see some temp monitor numbers for long gaming sessions.
fury said:
I doubt a cooler on the top side of a video card would come into contact with a chipset cooler or anything else on the motherboard. Unless, of course, you have like the equivalent of the Zalman salad bowl cooler on your northbridge.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by Masque:[/b][quote]It's kinda funny how the simple (read "obvious") ideas can actually be the most innovative. I'd like to see how many others follow their footsteps with this design. Asus frequently seems to be a couple steps ahead of much of the competition. Kudos![/quote]Perhaps others haven't followed because of ATX specifications.
mtyson8 said:
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by mtyson8:[/b][quote]Actually, this would push heat up to the CPU and Cooler. But, with a fan blowing back at the GPU, it might balance out. Or will it?[/quote]Perhaps. I think its pretty much good to go. A few more tweaks and it;ll be on the market. This has been tested and i don't think this is just 'the plan'.
John Smith said:
A 30 degree temp difference. Wow. This type of tech would be a welcome addition to my silent rig.
cyrax said:
The reverse cooling option is an excellenct idead since present models dimply force hot air back onto the chip. The onloy worry they will have is the limited space to work with. on the pcbs and surrounding slots.
luismigilbert said:
there are some moboīs which have video card slot near cpu socket...but i think itīs a good idea, specially if you want to overclock your video card..
fury said:
People who get this kind of video card generally aren't going to be looking to overclock it, though. Otherwise they would have just bought one with a fan on it. This is an ideal solution for a silent computer as John Smith indicated, however, as the video card fan can sometimes be one of the loudest things in the computer.
iluvnug said:
DragonMaster said:
Here is what an article I read said IIRC :--20% efficiency - fins looking down60% - looking up80% - on the side90% - any position /w fan--With an heatsink placed for passive cooling, you can have a silent / slow fan and you'll have more efficiency gain than when it is ex. looking down with the same fan. Again it's simple. So if you put a low dB fan blowing on your passive heatsink the temps should lower a lot. Maybe more than the standard solution.
exscind said:
[b]Originally posted by iluvnug:[/b][quote]This is a neat idea. It would free up space in my computers that have one of the pci slots being blocked by a video card exhaust fan. This is especially good for those people who are limited on pci slots like those using SLI. Speaking of SLI, I wonder how well this design would work in an SLI system?[/quote]With SLI, 1 card will still get the bulk of the hot air current. Meaning, in a conventional setup, the top GPU will run hotter. So I don't think this solution will work as well for a SLI system.As someone have said, I am kind of worried about the graphic card dissipating the warm air towards the CPU, RAM, or other parts depending on the motherboard's layout at the expense of a cooler graphic card. It all depends on how a person uses the computer I suppose. For overclockers, the temperature of the CPU is way more important to monitor than the GPU. Regardless, it would be beneficial to test and show how the temperature of the different computer parts react with this new ASUS video card, rather than just claiming the video card itself runs cooler.
maxtor said:
I remember coming up with this idea along time ago, I always thought graphics cards were upside down. Good work ASUS, can't wait to see how this turns out! Great.
otmakus said:
Although this is a good idea, it will need a special M/B. And since noone else is doing this, it will be better to have this kind of video card along with a new, special, Asus M/B. And this is strictly for those silent enthusiast, I think. For the rest of us, buying a video card with a good fan is better, I think.
xerowingsx5k said:
I'm still not sure why it took so long for anyone to start making graphics cards with the GPUs on the top side, but hey, as long as they're coming, I'm happy.A little thing that I note, is that Dell orients their motherboards (At least on my Dimension 5150) to flip my graphic card's GPU upward.
zachig said:
WOW. 30F degrees less!!! That's awesome. How wish this could be implemented for the 7800GT/GTX cards as well.
iluvnug said:
Passively cooled done proper.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by maxtor:[/b][quote]I remember coming up with this idea along time ago, I always thought graphics cards were upside down.[/quote]Sometimes they were, VLB and ISA cards had the chip on the upper side (at least my Tseng ET4000 card did, but ATI VGA Wonder didn't).
Rhianntp said:
This is a great idea. Certainly hope all the high end cards come this way soon.
Strakian said:
This is going ot hav esome big pros and some big cons. By defying the standard they are nolonger catering to everyone and will eventually see a drop in sales. I don't think the idea will last long.
Crofty74 said:
I think many people would welcome a new mobo standard to address hot spots and cooling issues & Asus may be lucky to get the timing right on this one, whilst I have a general good feeling on it the odds do appear against them, as Strakian said - its a very big con to release a non standard card.I am also presuming the card will not be available in any massive quantity retail either although I can think of a dozen OEM specialist who are going to want to snap up anything that can up their 3dmark scores.
fury said:
One thing I'm curious about is whether/how this type of card construction will impact upcoming BTX form factor systems.
MonkeyMan said:
I have an EVGA 6600GT, and I have never had any problems with it, but this new 6600 video card, is going to be very powerful indeed. Heat is mostly a problem to most cards, in the 6600 series, and this corrects it efficiently. I welcome this new 6600 card made by Asus. Great job!!!!!!