EA gives games to Amp'd Mobile

By Justin Mann on January 11, 2006, 11:40 AM
More wireless news, the very much hyped Amp'd Mobile will be getting content from from Electronic Arts. Ports of 'Madden NFL 06', 'The Sims 2' and various other titles are going to be provided, initially, to this new service. If you've seen the numerous ads or looked up a press release, Amp'd is essentially a new phone and service provider using existing cell networks, and they are specifically targeting a younger crowd, providing easy access to content like videos and, of course, games. Though I was never much one for cell phone gaming, others are crazy about it. In total, 15 games are being initially provided to Amp'd, and the possibility of more partners is definitely in their future.

Vaerilis said:
I could never understand why it's so much fun to play games on a mobile phone. Still, this business venture shows promise, a lot of people enjoy spending irrational amounts of money on their cell phone.p.s. Their rate plans are nice: 2000 minutes for 100$ is a fair deal.
exscind said:
I don't know either. It can be nice to play some games while sitting in the train, waiting for a bus, or between classes. But the hype never really got to me, I guess. I have poor eyesight already; staring in that little screen for more than 5 minutes will do me in. However, more power to those that do wish this kind of leisure. This only proves my point that mobile gaming devices like DS and PSP will soon be integrated into cell phones! The ultimate luxury!
iluvnug said:
I have to agree. Cell phone gaming has never really interested me. I think it is mainly a way for adults to entertain their children while in the car, at the doctor's office, etc. "Here, Johnny, settle down and play with this while we wait." Of course, the games will get better but it'll never be like playing on the newest Playstation or Nintendo portable of the moment.
asphix said:
I was severly dissapointed by the showing of the Ngage. But if this one provided an acceptable control scheme I may consider it the next time I'm looking to upgrade my cell phone.I know EA is backing this strongly as a newly emerging market with a large margin for potential. But hopefully the hardware developers keep in mind the primary function of a phone is a phone.. not a gaming device. If I consider it, it will have to be top notch as far as cell phones go.. and the gaming will be added incentive.
2old said:
Its the convenience....on the bus, train etc etc - whip out the cell phone and blast away.....And I am not so sure the primary function of a cell phone is still just to make and receive calls. It appears to be the non-phone extras (eg. camera, radio, mp3 player etc) which the mobile phone companies are claiming are the deciders in phone model choice.
Masque said:
I don't know.....I just can't see it. Maybe because my old eyes aren't what they used to be, but after gaming with a 20.1" wide-screen, I've absolutely no use for cell phone gaming. Just what this world needs.....more outs. LOL
MonkeyMan said:
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by MonkeyMan:[/b][quote]Wow!!!! there has been an explosion of new technology, and its only the beginning of 2006!!!!!!! this is going to be an exciting year, and Amp'd made a great move in focusing on the younger generation. Young people, buy more "gadgets" than the older generation, so there is a huge amount of profit in that department. Amp'd, is going to be a dominating cellphone this year, with these new exciting features.[/quote]I agree though i'm not all that surprised by this turn of events i am wuite excited about it though i still prefer PC and console games. Nothing like a bit of Super Smash brothers to relieve some stress...