Microsoft develops Office for Mac

By Derek Sooman on January 12, 2006, 7:06 PM
A formal five-year agreement has been announced by Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit (Mac BU) to develop Microsoft Office for Mac software. The software will be for both PowerPC- and Intel-based Macs, and will provide Mac users with access to the new Microsoft Office Open XML Formats.

Tom Gibbons, vice president - consumer productivity, eXperiences business, Microsoft, said, "Microsoft has a history of successful collaboration with Apple, and this agreement underscores our commitment to the Mac platform. We've had many years of success with Office for Mac, and this formal commitment confirms that we're in the Mac business for the long haul."

exscind said:
Great news for any Mac users. I use Microsoft Office for Macs at school because my department's uno boss decides that Macs is the way to go. And really, there is no difference between MS Office in either platform. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing remains to be debated, of course... But it is reassuring to know that Mac users aren't left out in the desert to dry.Oh, there is one difference I guess, but it is really an Apple problem rather than Microsoft's: Right button. I use the right click on my mouse quite a bit in MS Office, and I can't begin to count how many times I have tried to right click on Apple's magnificent one-button wonder. Using the apple key makes me nervous because it's like hitting the Windows key while gaming in full screen, for those that know what I'm talking about :).
gamingmage said:
This is a great decision, but I hope since its Microsoft that they don't put a bug in the program. Lol, just kidding.
asphix said:
I had read somewhere that Microsoft was going to stop supporting and developing their office line for some non windows OS. Maybe it was linux.Either way, I agree this is good news for Mac users as, in my opinion, there isnt a software package that delivers quite like office does.This also helps with Apples decision to go to the x86 platform. In a news bit I read yesterday it has been confirmed that the x86 based apple computers can indeed boot in Windows. It will ease the transition for people like myself who will now consider purchasing one of these macs for the ability to use internet, office, email and any other business related use on OSX yet boot into the windows OS for gaming.
sngx1275 said:
OpenOffice/NeoOffice for OSX is fair to good depending on what you are wanting to do. Its pretty much like MS Office.Was this really in doubt at some point? (that they'd continue to develop for the Mac). Microsoft has done several things (I saw them listed once, but don't have the link right now) in office first on the Mac platform, then put it in the Windows version in the next release. Office 2000 for PC uses the same file type as Office98 for the Mac.
vigilante said:
Next we'll hear about a flaw in MAC office that allows an attacker to hide a secret code in a template script that lets them take control over the mac.You heard it here first. lol
MonkeyMan said:
You guys are correct, in that there may be bugs on this new software, but overall, I think it will be successful, and also beneficial, to Mac users. This should be an added plus, especially for business owners, who possess a mac.
PUTALE said:
to be honest, I think Mac office suite is much better than the Windows counterparts. I think the mac team should actually make office for windows:). I think with the new mac also use the intel chip, it should be easier for the MS to develop software for mac users. Who knows, maybe MS will actually make 1 office suite for both mac and pc.
cyrax said:
Microsoft will never end support for their suites on other platforms as long as there is money to be made. Macinitosh and bill gates have very long tires. Something like anakin and palpatine. now there is something to think about.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by asphix:[/b][quote]I had read somewhere that Microsoft was going to stop supporting and developing their office line for some non windows OS. Maybe it was linux.[/quote]When has there been MS Office for anything other than Windows or OSX (or Mac OS Classic)?
zachig said:
This is really great news for the Mac Users. Buy, hey, who needs MS Office when you have Open Office? :-)
mentaljedi said:
The only reason they're doing it is to try and stop Opensource. I think its their biggest threat, dont u?
sngx1275 said:
SEVERAL people in this thread act like Microsoft just now made the decision to Create an Office Suite for the Macintosh Platform.Office for the Mac has been around a LONG time guys. Infact, Microsoft Office first appeared on the Mac Platform back in 1989, before it became avaiable on any DOS or Windows platform. Most of the innovations in Office were released on the Mac version before it got to the PC version. I'm not trying to say Mac is better or anything here, I'm just pointing out to everyone that this is not a decision for MS to port over Office to the Mac, its just a decision to keep making it.[Edited by sngx1275 on 2006-01-13 11:51:44]
fury said:
Another step towards total domination... Hey, they mean well, and their Office stuff is fairly good, but I think they are getting too big for their britches. They need to split up their company to make the best out of creating this broad a range of products.
Cy6erpuke said:
I don't care much for Microsoft or Mac. Do you guys know anybody that games on a Mac? Don't tell me PCs are not only for games.... I have heard that one. I live in Nelspruit (South-Africa) and even the graphical designers here are switching to PCs because of the lack of supports on Macs. My only comment then to Microsoft..... keep on doing what you're doing, driving the development of open source alternatives to microsoft. Cheers
bushwhacker said: