Interview with John Beekley of Corsair

By Justin Mann on January 16, 2006, 4:39 PM
Corsair is without a doubt one of the most popular enthusiast brands of memory out there. A very interesting interview with John Beekley, one of the co-founders of Corsair, is posted at legitreviews. Some interesting questions are asked, including what Mr. Beekley thinks Corsair has done for the “gaming” community (Mr. Beekley correctly calls this the “enthusaist” community). He gives a very in-depth response concerning heat dissapation and the merits of improving air flow with heat spreaders.

”We are in the midst of running a bunch of controlled testing in a thermal chamber to determine the performance impact of heat spreaders and heat sinks. We are not done yet, but I suspect what we will find in that the best performance comes from heat sinks with huge honking fins. We'll keep you posted on what we find.”
He also talks about their reluctance for water cooled RAM, and more. Beekley also predicts 2006 will be a primarily DDR2 year, which is to be expected. Definitely an interesting read.

MonkeyMan said:
Oh man, could this be what I think it could be? new memory being released, focusing on heat issues? this is groundbreaking, being that if they implement this, and correct it effectively, it could mean that we could see some monster memory, and Corsair will be the ones to bring it to us. Rock on Corsair!!!!!!!!! I can't wait until this new memory is released, it will have breathtaking speeds.
Need_a_Dell said:
This sounds almost too good to be true! Major memory with minimal heat? What could possibly be better? This will definitly pave the way into high-definition computer gaming. With the constant advances in processors and videocard technology, it's about time that the ram community got a facelift. Good on you Corsair! Good on you!
PUTALE said:
interesting stuff. I am really anxious to see what the potential of DDR2 will be given to the fact ath amd finally will be releasing the mobo/cpu based on DDR2.
nathanskywalker said:
check it out![url]http://www.coolmods.com/blackice2/spec/[/url] Actually, that link is from another forum. Apperently someone made his own watter-cooled blocks for his RAM. and i must say, it looked pretty cool! Of course, not everyone can go to the trouble to build there own blocks, and well enough that the whole plan does not backfire on you and blow your system. so yeah, totaly for that idea, of course i'd probably have to wait till the stuff goes down in price...
vigilante said:
Awesome, I like Corsair too and have their XMS Extreme series RAM. They just have heat spreaders.I wonder, though, how well you can put "big honking fins" on the RAM when they are just millimeters apart? Interresting to see what they come up with.
Race said:
[b]Originally posted by vigilante:[/b][quote]I wonder, though, how well you can put "big honking fins" on the RAM when they are just millimeters apart? Interresting to see what they come up with.[/quote]I was thinking the same thing. (I thought I was missing something here).With the very limited spaces between and around memory modules, it will be interesting to see how/if they can implement that type of cooling.One thing about Corsair......they must have good distribution because that seems to be the only brand of memory found in places like Fry's, Best Buy, and Comp USA.
exscind said:
Corsair is the most popular RAM company. Because of the revenue they bring, they can offer good products at reasonable prices; however, the competitive prices only seem to occur at the value RAM market as the higher-end products are often won by other brands like OCZ or G.Skill. But for value ram, it is really difficult to beat Corsair's ValueRAM.It would be interesting to see what Beekley and the crew comes up with for the heatspreaders, if any at all. The heatspreaders used in all the RAM modules right now have minimal effects in terms of cooling strength. The best solution right now is to have the CPU fan face towards the DIMM slots (custom CPU heatsink of course) or a case fan near the RAM to produce a good air flow.As Beekley have mentioned, DDR2 will be the focus of attention this year as AMD is moving to socket 940, which features DDR2. DDR2 RAMs utilize less voltage than DDR, which translates to less heat buildup. So honestly I don't think overheating will be that big of an issue. As long as the case has a decent air flow, there should not be a need for any innovating or ground-breaking heatspreader design.[Edited by exscind on 2006-01-17 00:09:18]
otmakus said:
And they have excellent support too, even here in Indonesia. I once got one Corsair stick which ran at higher CAS than the other. I returned them both and they gave me another 2 sticks right then, no questions asked. And they have 10 years warranty for their flash drives too, the longest I've ever known. Now if only their price will lower a bit...
zachig said:
I've just went briefly through the interview and it looks pretty interesting. I guess I'll read it more deeply when I'll get home from work. Thanks guys!
mentaljedi said:
I am pleased with this, shows a company who actually listens to the customers. The customers are always right as usual!