Northern Ireland has 100% access to high speed internet

By Derek Sooman on January 18, 2006, 2:10 PM
Users of the Internet in Northern Ireland are pretty lucky that region has become the first in Europe to have 100% broadband coverage. An announcement, made by Enterprise Minister Angela Smith on a visit to the MJM Group, claims that NI has 100% access to high speed internet. This is the result of 10m of European funding.

"This is a significant achievement for Northern Ireland," Minister Angela Smith said.

"Every household, business, school and library in Northern Ireland will be able to access broadband regardless of their location."

asphix said:
They must be really excited about that. I hear northern ireland has been extremely industrious recently with a lot of companies based in electronics and technology sprouting up and thriving. This will only further add to that image which will make the area even more attractive to new companies looking for a home and ultimately help the whole country.
nathanskywalker said:
Race said:
It must be nice for NI to have access to 'European funding' for something like this.I wonder if anything similar is available to states in the U.S.?
Kreuger said:
That'd be really cool. Even more so if they made Wireless available too. Hotspots practically anywhere, I'm sure people would LOVE it.
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by nathanskywalker:[/b][quote]Wow, that must have been one hec of a big job. But then again, that is probably a smaller area. While it still would be a very large job it would be nothing at all like trying to wire all of North America. Still though, that is very impressive, gosh, bet MSN usage went up...[/quote]Not really. I can understand about the USA being really big but size isn't everything. I mean, who would want to make the huge expanse of desert that is most of the USA broadband? WHo uses it? MAybe to download pictures of tornadoes but i don't think so.
DragonMaster said:
Sigh... my home line isn't even DSL compatible. At least, they're going to replace the wiring as I'm already suscribed. The in-house wiring is not much of a problem ; it's CAT3.
Eleventeen said:
I wish our neighborhood had 100% access to broadband, but, seems like we have something like 0%. I guess nobody cares enough to come out this far. It's good to see other places are getting broadband access everywhere though. I bet that made someones day when they heard that. Hopefully they can do this to sections of the U.S. sometime soon.
gamingmage said:
Wow thats good for them. Hopefully we can get full coverage in the next year.
otmakus said:
Aside from the availability, the cost is a very important matter too. 384 kbps DSL costs US$440/month where I live.
exscind said:
10 million pounds is a lot of money. For those who thinks the residents of Northern Ireland are very fortunate to have high speed Internet everywhere and that the U.S. should adopt it, should think again. In reality, the "European funding" described in the article were largely from taxes. It is very common for certain European nations to have 40+ percents in taxes. In fact, according to this site personal tax in Northern Ireland was 42% in 2005![url]http://www.investni.com/index/locate/lc-why-northe
n-ireland/business_climate/taxation.htm[/url]Knowing that many American citizens complain about the already "high" tax, I don't think this idea would ever be implemented here. But to be honest, I like what Northern Ireland is doing; at least the people in NI know specifically that their tax dollars (or pounds, whatever) are going into something beneficial for everyone. This is really a great move by their government because it doesn't give people a chance to "lag" behind in the age of technology.
geforcemaniac said:
I live here in Northern Ireland and saying that high spped internet is available anywhere here is irrelevant! I say this as for many rural areas here the only option for high speed internet is to subscribe to satellite broadband which for most people at home or as part of a business is far too expensive to set up and to run to make it practical.I have a close friend who is one of these people. His isp told him that he wasn't able to receive adsl after months of fooling him about. As an alternative he was offered 512k satellite broadband at 30 per month and a 100 set up fee. This may not sound too bad, but considering a small business has to pay more monthly and also a whopping 1000 set up fee, it wouldn't be worthwhile at all for a business!!
JMag034 said: