Intel to offer $200 dual-core Pentium

By Justin Mann on January 23, 2006, 12:17 PM
Everyone loves dual core. That being said, not everyone can have it. Even the cheapest of dual core CPUs still run in the $300 range, with the P4 830 and X2 3800+ being around $320 for retail. Intel wants to bring dual core to more people, though, and is release the Dual Core 805, a 2.66GHz dual-core CPU using the older 533MHz FSB. Essentially, a dual-core Celeron, but with more cache. It's set to hit the market originally at around $200, with the price dropping even further, perhaps as low as ~$170. Imagine being able to build a cheap dual core rig on a “single core” budget. Clearly, a step ahead, even if it uses slightly older technology. Since the majority of users, both home and office, gain much more from having multiple cores over having faster CPUs, the benefit is easy to see.

asphix said:
This is great news and will help immensely to push dual core to the main stream. This will result in more than just happy customers with the prospects of owning cutting edge technology at near budget prices. With more people able to easily afford dual core technology, that means software developers can create their software with the fact that dual core will have a wider exposure in mind possibly leading to more rapid advances in the computer software arena!This is also interesting coming right after news of AMD's line seeing a price increase.
mentaljedi said:
True asphix. i'm concerned that though AMD has a suoerb range, they're too expensive which makes intel the favourite but not out of choice but out if price and compatability!
all_one_Mind said:
Yeah. There was a time when AMD not only had the performance edge, but they also were more affordable. I've been an AMD fanboi for years, but lately Intel has started offering good performance at a lower cost than AMD, which is slowing making me reconsider what company has my loyality.
nathanskywalker said:
Let's see...AMD offers a dual core for no less than $290...for example...[url]http://www.mwave.com/mwave/DeepsearchDDA.hmx?
ID=&CID=[/url]Wow, i must say, that is really cheap. Only $200 for a dual-core? Considering i really could use a better multitasking Cpu, that is great! And i am sure there are quite a few other geeks out there who would love to have a dual-core. I would almost check that out, that is a significatn price differrence. Hopefully AMD will be up to the challenge and bring their prices down to a more realistic level; however, until they do i'll be fine with an althon. hey check this out...i need to read this...[url]http://www.digital-daily.com/cpu/athlon64fx-p4ee
[/url]Personally i think that eventaully AMD is going to come out in the lead, so for now i'm sticking with AMD. :)
DragonMaster said:
Some of the last things I would do : Switch to Intel and try to get an Intel to work properly.Even if Intel would cost half the price for twice the speed, I would NOT get one. For years I haven't been able to make my Intels work properly. The only exceptions are my two Pentiums non-MMX. I prefer using my 400MHz K6-2 over my 800MHz Pentium III because I don't want to lose data because of a crash when using a word processor.
Didou said:
[quote]Since the majority of users, both home and office, gain much more from having multiple cores over having faster CPUs, the benefit is easy to see.[/quote]I fail to see how this will affect 80% of home/office users who rarely run more then one task at the same time. It's not like surfing the web & listening to music requires for each application to have its own CPU core. ;-)Running Word & Solitaire on the office machine would tax the system as much as the previous example.
gamingmage said:
Thank you so much Intel. This will reach out to many more people which is just what Intel needs right now after its sales slump. Now the only problem is to get the knowledge of the capabilities of dual core cpus to the public, because the users that this will affect is mostly the everyday common user who usually don't know the first thing about computers. Again way to go Intel.
JMag034 said:
Well..if they are listing it for like $180....does that mean the 920 price will remain the same? I mean, what is it now $220? AMD needs to step it up and release an X2 3600+ 1.6ghz 512l2 for 200bucks :)
Eleventeen said:
$170 for a dual core processor, never thought I would see prices that low at this time. I'm glad Intel has made this product. It would help those in need of running multiple applications but do not have enough money to go buy a dual core CPU. Any way you look at it, I really don't think you could go wrong if you want a new processor. Sure, 2.66 ghz is not the fastest these days, but it is still enough to handle most of the applications on the market today.
PUTALE said:
200 is still quite expensive. In a way it's nice to see that Intel is bringing dual core into the mainstream, mid-segment pricing, but on the other hand, the crippled dual core is really not that much use I think.
exscind said:
[b]Originally posted by Didou:[/b][quote]I fail to see how this will affect 80% of home/office users who rarely run more then one task at the same time. It's not like surfing the web & listening to music requires for each application to have its own CPU core. ;-)[/quote]I agree, most people would not benefit significantly from dual core technology at this moment. However, advancements must be made as time progresses. Dual core is undoubtedly the technology of the future. Many software companies are hesitant to produce multi-threaded applications in fear of the lack of audience. This only hinders progress, not vice versa.Having said that, I applaud Intel for trying to make dual core technology available to more people than the previous affluent crowd. And as someone said, this is a great move by Intel after AMD's decision to raise many of its CPU prices. As far as I am concerned, Intel is losing the war on desktop processors. This may be a good way to recooperate some of that loss. And I'm sure partly the reason why AMD increased processor prices is due to the lack of competition from Intel. If Intel's $200 dual core sells well, hopefully that will convince AMD to lower its price tags which will benefit the consumers with two good options.
otmakus said:
[b]Originally posted by exscind:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by Didou:[/b][quote]I fail to see how this will affect 80% of home/office users who rarely run more then one task at the same time. It's not like surfing the web & listening to music requires for each application to have its own CPU core. ;-)[/quote]I agree, most people would not benefit significantly from dual core technology at this moment. However, advancements must be made as time progresses. Dual core is undoubtedly the technology of the future. Many software companies are hesitant to produce multi-threaded applications in fear of the lack of audience. This only hinders progress, not vice versa.[/quote]Because of that reason, it's far wiser to wait until more software companies catch up with dual core technology and it can be used to it's full extent. At that time, I'm sure the more high end dual core processors will be much more affordable, and we won't regret buying the low end dual core.Intel is just sensing profit because dual core is the hype right now, and computer manufacturers can sell "Dual Core Computers" at lower prices, with 256 RAM and dirt cheap M/B, to the unsuspecting average computer buyers.
BARFARF said:
asphix hit the nail on the head. Intel's low cost dual core is a slap in the face for AMD who used to reign supreme in the value department. AMD needs to have a low cost competitor dual core chip or lose maket share. Hopefully intel's actions will pressure AMD to do so. In the end we the consumers shall win. =)