Interview with Scratch-Less Disc inventor

By Derek Sooman on January 23, 2006, 7:00 PM
Tgdaily.com is carrying a story about an interview with Todd Kuchman, inventor of the Scratch-Less Disc. Kuchman has come up with a scratch resistant CD that also wouldn't become stuck in a CD-ROM drive. He spent more than four years developing his design.

Kuchman said he came up with the scratch resistant CD concept after seeing a girl knock over a stack of CDs to the floor. "I just knew she scratched the heck out of those CDs," says Kuchman. Thinking that there had to be a better way; he went home and started designing prototypes in his garage. His first few tries weren't very successful.
This is the sort of innovation I think is really quite essential; we are putting all sorts of effort into making new kinds of media that can store more and more data, but we are not thinking about making disks last longer. Durability is just as important as capacity, and I think that we have lost sight of that somewhat.

DragonMaster said:
Well Blu-Ray is supposed to get less scratches and MiniDisc has a good way to prevent scratches -- The Maxell holographic disc was in a case in the prototype pics we saw.Hey! I can't delete my own comments![Edited by DragonMaster on 2006-01-23 19:26:45]
DragonMaster said:
Well Blu-Ray has an hard coating to prevent scratching and MiniDisc has a good way to prevent scratches -- The Maxell holographic disc was in a case in the prototype pics we saw.
Need_a_Dell said:
Sounds like a good idea. One of my biggest pet peeves is using a disc that is scratched. Jumpy playback, unreadable data, the whole she-bang just makes me so angry. :@ Here's to hoping this idea gets off the ground.
JMag034 said:
Yeah, he was just a regular guy and now hes making millions I bet. I also hate it when you use scratched discs cause somethings may be messed up on it.
Kaleid said:
I have one TDK Scratchfree DVD-RW which is supposedly 100 times harder to get scratched. Haven't actually used it enough to know if there's any truth in it, but it seems like a good way to improve the Bluray format.
nathanskywalker said:
[quote]necessity is the mother of invetion[/quote]cool, and it seems so simplistic once done, at least to outsiders, but of course in all reality, it was not. Wow four years trying to figure that out, but hey, he suceeded![quote] Yeah, he was just a regular guy and now hes making millions I bet.[/quote]lol, definently, but then again, many "inventors' started that way didn't they?
AeonXX said:
A very interesting article; and itís better late than never. I heard from a reputable source that data on CD-ROM actually resides closer to the ďtopĒ of the disc, where the label is applied. This means that scratches to that side of the disc are actually more prone to causing read errors. I have a CD-RW compatible MP3 player in my car, and I thought it would be cool to simply have a few CD-RW discs that I swap out and erase the contents of occasionally; unfortunately, these discs have gotten scratched up quite a bit and now skip, so I would definitely be interested in this kind of disc if it were car stereo compliant. Itís a great invention, and Iím really surprised it hasnít been done in this way already.
exscind said:
Definitely a great invention. It is true: Greater storage capacity is meaningless if the preservation for the storage is severely time limited. Especially with how vulnerable CDs are, this innovative scratch-less disc will find a nice niche in the market.
paulwuzhere said:
Very good artical. I have always scatched my CDs. I hope this works out well. Also, I wonder how much they will be compared to normal disks...
buttus said:
Too bad Apple didn't register this guys patent for the iPod Nano. It would have saved alot of hastle for those people that thought they could stick their tiny thin Nano in their jeans pocket that was filled with change from scratching or cracking their screens.Buy a FRICKIN' case and stop whinning. :)BTW...scratchless? Anyone hear of the unbreakable plate from Corningware?Ummm....they break when they fall on a floor...so I doubt there is such a thing as "scratchproof".Maybe "scratch resistant"?
Nic said:
This will likely double/treble the price of any discs produced, and doesn't mean that your discs will last longer. The major failings with current disc lifespan is dye quality and its resistance to the effects of ageing. I must admit that I am certainly all for scratchproof discs, but not if they cost several times the price of current discs. The TDK scratchproof discs that have been available for some time now are good, but too expensive.
MonkeyMan said:
That is a very, very, valid point. But the thing is, most people get bored of listening to he same CD's so longer lasting CD's may not be as important, as data capacity. It's just my opinion, but maybe its a little better to see it from both sides of the spectrum.
mentaljedi said:
As most of u realise that nowadays, more people are gettting fed up with the whole CD thing and its all mp3s. With blu-ray coming out, will we see a change? Hopefully.
fiziks said:
DragonMaster said:
[quote] I heard from a reputable source that data on CD-ROM actually resides closer to the ďtopĒ of the disc, where the label is applied. This means that scratches to that side of the disc are actually more prone to causing read errors. [/quote]Yes, practically on the top. There are a few CDs like Verbatims that have some extra layers on the top. But, the label is more resistant to scratches and the problem with the scratches on the bottom is that the laser can't read the CD properly when looking in them.
sngx1275 said:
[b]Originally posted by fiziks:[/b][quote]from what I remember, cds and dvds will only last 2 years on avg, curious to see what the lifespan of these will be...[/quote]We just had an article on this last week, or week before. Many of us replied with disks that have lasted more than 2 years, I personally have a couple that are going on 8 years old. They still play. They will last a long time if you buy decent quality blanks, and keep them out of the sun and scratch free.
devourer said:
This is a great invention if they can get it out at competetive prices with other disks otherwise people will still buy the cheaper but scratches-if-you're-not-careful disks.Who needs scratch-less when you can buy 2-3 disks. Just burn 2 copies, the other copy a backup in case you scratched the other copy.