Samsung launch ultra-small LED projector

By Derek Sooman on January 24, 2006, 2:33 PM
Samsung has released the P300 a pocket sized, lightweight projector. The P300 boasts 24 ANSI Lumen brightness, a 1000:1 contrast ratio and a resolution of 800x600. The battery life is a healthy 2.5 hours. The P300 weighs just 660g, and has dimensions of 127 x 93 x 50mm. It comes with a special connecting cable and D-sub (PC) and AV input, and should be available in the UK from March, costing around 499.

DragonMaster said:
MonkeyMan said:
This should be a nice little device. I'm thinking that its going to be a blockbuster on the consumer markets. I think this will be very beneficial to businesses, because most businesses use presentations at meetings. Great device, but I think it was made mostly for businessesman.
PanicX said:
It's ideal for demostrations and sales pitches. If I'm going to a clients business to push a product, getting those powerpoint slides in the pitch is a powerful tool. And if you don't look like a jackass carrying around a fullsized projector, all the better.
flipi said:
It is a start for gadgets that will fit in your hand, a small step towards what we all whant: that tiny 5 cm cube that has it all - tv, computer, dvd-player, projector etc.
sjps220 said:
sngx1275 said:
asphix said:
Phantasm66 said:
[b]Originally posted by asphix:[/b][quote]WOW! Thats pretty crazy! I think the next step would be to have projectors built into laptops.. That would be the day.. no more hooking it up, setting it up.. it could even be completely software driven.[/quote]That's a wonderful idea.
nathanskywalker said:
Small, long lifespan, good resolutioin, and above all else, it looks really weird. Cool.
Eleventeen said:
I really think it's incredible how small they can make things these days. Projectors being little enough to fit into your pocket, well, I just think it's really neat. I don't see the benefits of this though, besides it being incredibly portable. Well, that's probably the only benefit there is. Still, I like the way electronics are gradually getting smaller.
DragonMaster said:
[quote]The thing runs on batteries. You don't have to have a power adapter.[/quote]I talk about the source. It's good to have a small projector but you still need to carry something that can give an AV output.
paulwuzhere said:
I have used projectors in the past but they get to hot and most are to bulky to carry around. Hopefully it won't be to expensive and won't weigh to much.
Need_a_Dell said:
That sounds incredible!!! Imagine being able to walk around with your iPod video and this mini projector, and being able to play movies/tv shows whenever and wherever you want! Sounds pretty good to me! Samsung should work out some sort of compatibility contract with Apple to get that idea rolling.
exscind said:
Great idea. It's perfect for smaller presentations or pitch sales (since bigger events may require big projectors if only for the presence of grandeur). 499 pounds is still very expensive even for the small physical dimension. That's around $890 U.S. Dollars, which is still darn expensive.
crossfire851 said:
[b]Originally posted by sngx1275:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by DragonMaster:[/b][quote]Good to see they can make such small things, but isn't bringing a projector in your pocket useless? You need something to plug it to, and I don't think a lot of people would think it's safe to bring an 499 object with them.[/quote]The thing runs on batteries. You don't have to have a power adapter.[/quote]He ment a laptop/dvd player it's universal.
sngx1275 said:
Its not useless even if you have to carry your laptop around with you, because think about this. Nobody carries their laptop around out in the open, its in some form of a case. Most all of those cases have a bit of extra room either in pockets or to accomidate a slightly larger laptop. If this projector is 'pocket size' its going ot fit in there easily. You can't lug around a full size projector with that convienience.
mentaljedi said:
u know, as much as i love this kind of technology, i am concerned by the risk. i mean, imagine if it dropped out of your pocket? Its like dropping your mobile! Oops, thats $800 down the drain...
dtkenmo said:
[b]Originally posted by sjps220:[/b][quote]I guess I can see why having a tiny projector is a big benefit for business people. The 2.5 hour battery life sounded short to me at first but when you think of a small device putting out a large, bright picture, it's actually quite good. [/quote]I would hardly call 24 Lumens bright...
ps2424 said:
Finally!This is break-through in projectors technology similar to launch of LCD TV caused CRTs are at the end. I hope the next next next model will have multiple brightness and XGA resolution. Then the existing projectors competing with owens will finaly disapear from the home market.Go on Samsung!
FF1 said:
I thought this would be of interest to the readers. A very detailed search on LED projectors.[url]http://www.handtops.com/forum/1606/1//LED_Pr
jectors_by_Mitsubishi_Samsung_an.html[/url]