Netflix to support HD-DVD and BluRay concurrently

By Justin Mann on January 24, 2006, 8:05 PM
The more a company relies on optical media, the more the impacts of BluRay vs HD-DVD will impact them. When your sole product is movies on just that, it's a very big one. Netflix is prepared, however, and is ready to embrace both standards and incorporate both into their business. As the year progresses, Netflix will carry many movie titles available in both HD-DVD and BluRay formats.

"High-definition DVD is the next wave of excitement in home entertainment and we'll be there at its inception," said Netflix Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings. "With far sharper images, better sound and more features, we expect high-def will greatly enhance DVD's consumer appeal and extend its popularity over the next decade or more."

It seems that at first, more titles will be available only in HD DVD, due to them being made available sooner, but that as time goes on there will be no difference, and equal line ups will be had for both. It is good to see companies already being prepared for this, because it will make it all the easier on consumers. What about the consumer who doesn't know what they have, though? Hopefully, companies will understand that mistakes will be made and that returns due to format standards may occur.

DragonMaster said:
That's bad for BluRay. I'm sure that both discs will have the same content but that the BluRay version will be more expensive.
paulwuzhere said:
Netflix is a great service that always has fast deliveries and quick response. I hope Blu ray catches on. I will always support samsung. And as for Netflix's movie download service I hope there a no download limits and they are a good quality. Also their movie, games on-demand.... NO. I will not even think about messing with that. To much hassle
Need_a_Dell said:
Doesn't sound like all that bad an idea. This way, there will be profit for Netflix no matter which format wins! :D
Race said:
Netflix is doing the only thing it could do, due to the format war. This is probably an indication of what other retailers, etc. will do.....there will not be a universal format decided upon, and it will be the consumer who decides the winner. (Now that I think about it, I kinda like it this way)However, I do think HD-DVD has a timing advantage in that it will be available approx. 6 months ahead of BlueRay.
PUTALE said:
that's nice to see it, but I guess netfix might be a tad early in the game. I think eventually we will settle for 1 big format, it's just too troublesome to have both formats.
flipi said:
If only they would merge and finally build a standard for future laser products, so that we, customers can enjoy it without having to buy a device for each class of products or have to go to a cinema to watch it because they are to expensive. Netflix is a bussiness, and as any bussiness it keeps its pace with the technology.
shounen said:
Finally there is one company that supports both and sees future in them and as said before netflix will profit anyway
JMMD said:
Glad to see Netflix supporting both format. I'd like to see Netflix carry some DVD-A and SACD titles as well. It would be nice to try them before buying.
asphix said:
Its good that they are supporting both formats, but I really dont see that they have a choice. If they went with either one or the other, they would severely limit their customer base in terms of next-gen DVD rentals.I also suspect rentals will be extremely popular within the first year of this new technology. People will ride the fence before ultimately deciding on one format or the other. With rentals you can still enjoy the media without the commitment of purchasing it yourself.
barfarf said:
Money is money. As long as profit is theere NetFlix will go after it. No reason not to support both format at least publicly but in reality the waiting line could be long.
MonkeyMan said:
At least Netflix isn't choosing sides between HDDVD and Blue ray, because I think they know that choosing both, would be a smart move, because it would make them more money either way. At least they are making a smart business move. Great job Netflix!!!!!
sngx1275 said:
[b]Originally posted by asphix:[/b][quote]I also suspect rentals will be extremely popular within the first year of this new technology. People will ride the fence before ultimately deciding on one format or the other. With rentals you can still enjoy the media without the commitment of purchasing it yourself.[/quote]They are still going to have to have a player for this, so in effect they've already made the decision, so they can't rely on rentals to help them decide which side of the fence they want to be on. Unless they have a player that plays both, then in that case, it doesn't matter which format 'wins'.Netflix isn't really taking a gamble on this either, I'm sure they will have limited numbers of each copy in each format, it will just increase wait times. Within the first week they'll have a preliminary idea on what is more popular, and can further refine this as time goes on, and making purchases accordingly.
nathanskywalker said:
Actually, i would suspect that they will utilize both formats. I have no proof of course, but do to the rather large number of tv series they rent out; i think it would make sense for them to put several tv shows on a single disk. As tv shows usually do not have quite the quality of special effect produced by hollywood(for theater and home video, that way you would not be losing out on the quality and would have a large portion of any given tv series. Now Hd , of course could be used for videos that have more special effects and such. Or movies that are just plain dependant on good qualiy...The matrix, Star wars III, and such. And this is good to hear. I love netflix, in my town we exactly one video store. They now charge $3.75 for one day rentals. Let's just say i think they will being losing alot of buisness to netflix...
mentaljedi said:
Smart move by Netflix. I would have done the same thing in their position. Now the only question is when will this all be sorted out? I won't say IF cos it HAS to be sorted out or we'll be in deep trouble.