Windows source code hacker gets two years in jail

By Derek Sooman on January 30, 2006, 2:46 PM
The Microsoft crusade against hacking continues. A judge has sentenced a convicted hacker known as "illwill" to two years in prison. "illwill" has been found guilty of selling the code for Microsoft’s closely guarded Windows programs. Known in the real world as William Genovese, Jr., the 29 year old illwill pleaded guilty in August to charges related to the sale and attempted sale of the source code for Microsoft's Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0.

Prosecutors said in an indictment in February 2004 that Genovese posted a message on his Web site offering the code for sale on the same day that Microsoft learned significant portions of its source code were stolen.

Genovese was arrested when an investigator for an online security company hired by Microsoft and an undercover FBI agent downloaded the stolen source code from his Web site after sending him electronic payments for it.

Not a very popular man with the Police, Genovese has 12 prior criminal convictions, including three computer-related crimes and a sexual abuse conviction. Judge Pauley ordered him to register as sex offender, and his future computer use will be very strictly monitored.

DragonMaster said:
Heven't we already seen this news article?[Edited by DragonMaster on 2006-01-30 14:55:20]
Cartz said:
Wow sounds like an upstanding citizen to me :pI wouldn't label him a hacker so much as a thief, a sophistacted thief, but a thief...Any hackers I've heard of simply infiltrate a system and look around, they don't take anything with them when they leave, or attempt to sell the secrets they find...Seriously, selling it the day he stole it? What a *****, he should get an extra 6 months for an exceptional display of stupidity.
MonkeyMan said:
I think so, but still, I think its great that he was punished for his misdeeds. I sure hope that he doesn't get out anytime soon, for the sake of humanity lol.
Need_a_Dell said:
Even if this guy wasn't caught for his Microsoft misdeeds, he has 12 other criminal convictions! This guys has to get off the streets. They say that his future computer will be closely monitered, I think a harsher punishment would be to take the computer away all together! (I would want to die if I didn't have a comp!)
nathanskywalker said:
[quote]"I screwed up," Genovese said in court.[/quote]oh he feels bad for what he did, let's just let him get away with only 2 years in prison now....hypocrytical judges. Sexual abuse as well? wow. You know, this guy...[url]http://www.techspot.com/news/20220-california-man
pleads-guilty-to-zombie-sales.html[/url]got 25 years. Yeah the crimes differ, so? Sexual offendre( though i don't like the idea....captil punishment i would ay), and he sells windows source, and he gets away with only two years. Someones law interpreting abilities got flushed down the toilet.
Vaulden said:
Yeah 2 years seems a bit short. Though, in my opinion, sexual crimes are of the worst possible offenses. I don't think the sexual crime was involved in this case. However, he is 29 and convicted of at least one sexual crime. Why was he out and able to commit other crimes? At the very least he should have just recently gotten out of prison.He needs to be off the streets period. He obviously is not going to learn his lesson. I'm all for giving people a chance if they seem deserving. You would be hard pressed to convince me he deserves any mercy or pity.
gamingmage said:
Wow, only two years, how short. Hopefully he will change his ways for the better. At least this was a wake-up call for Microsoft. Good idea on monitoring his computer use, I wonder what they will keep him from doing.