Could Vista be delayed?

By Derek Sooman on January 30, 2006, 8:00 PM
No big surprise here that there is a chance that Vista, the next version of Windows, is likely to be delayed. Software giant Microsoft has said that if the new OS does not live up to expectations, it will be delayed and tinkered with until it does.

Microsoft’s Jim Allchin – the man most associated with the development of the operating system - said he still expected Vista to ship at the of the year, about the same time he was due to retire, but could not rule out if being delayed.
So will it be delayed, or won’t it? Well, it’s really a quality issue: the company is on track for the promised release date, but will push the date back if the product isn’t up to scratch. Currently, Microsoft is not anticipating any delays...

"Where we sit today, things are going according to plan, and we’re feeling very good," Microsoft's Co-President of the Platforms, Products & Services Division said during an interview in San Francisco.
...so what the company is really saying is: "We don’t expect it to be late, but we are telling you right now that it could be, if it doesn’t live up to quality expectations." My guess? It will be delayed, as there are no doubt myriad problems to resolve if this OS is going to live up to all the hype on its release.

gamingmage said:
Hopefully it won't be delayed, but hey if it is I can't blame them. I mean, all they're trying to do is make things better for us. How can people be mad at them for that? Hopefully they are really checking it for flaws and bugs, and hopefully it will rise to and above expectations. I really hope it's on time.
djleyo said:
well i think this is great its going to be ready when its ready ***beacuse xp OH MAN remember that video of conan o brien and bill gates showing of xp to the press and xp failed (blue screen of death)im sure microsoft learned its lesson on not pushing things so fast the good thing is that they dont have competition from other maker so they have all the time of the worldall im expecting of vista is good solid product hope they get it right this time!!1
Kaleid said:
I wouldn't mind delays, have no desire to (eventually) have to upgrade computer for an operative system. Directx 10 would be nice though.
djleyo said:
yeah Kaleid directx 10 is overdue
Need_a_Dell said:
I think that it is a good idea that they delay Vista. i would rather have a OS that requires very little maintainence right out of the box, rather than a disaster. Kaleid also had a good point, many people aren't quite ready to change over to a new OS. Many people are comfortable with XP for the time being, and will upgrade when they're ready. Microsoft should take their time with Vista, and pull a "Valve" and release it when it's ready!
vigilante said:
Sure MS, take as long as you want to. I've got my XP working just the way I want!
phantasm66 said:
I see no rush to upgrade to Vista until it is a finished and ready product.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
How many times has it been delayed now, and how many more features are going to be added later?We'll see how many people will get Leopard before Vista :P
JMMD said:
I'm all for it being delayed as long as it means better quality, more security and more stability. I'm happy using XP SP2 for now. I have no reason to switch, yet.
nic said:
I'm quite happy with XP right now, and I certainly don't want a cut back version of Vista. I'd prefer that they get it right and add all of the missing features back in before release. Another 2 years waiting wouldn't bother me much, as the final product WILL be worth waiting for. I just don't want it delivered piece by piece.
otmakus said:
Looks like most of us aren't holding our breathes waiting for Vista, but personally I would prefer for it to be launched ASAP. They have prioritize Vista for years now, and all other products have lagged behind, including Win XP SP3, and they have already admitted that the delay is mainly caused because they're focusing on Vista (or maybe because they just want us to buy Vista and abandon XP, which will be far more profitable for them).If Vista gets delayed yet again, I'm sure SP3, which is scheduled for second half of 2007, will be delayed again, and meanwhile, we all have to update our XP for eons after we get a fresh install.
Phantasm66 said:
[quote]Could Vista be delayed?[/quote]Hopefully it will have been sensibly designed from the ground up this time, so that its worth the delay. [Edited by Phantasm66 on 2006-01-31 09:29:11]
buttus said:
I would agree with otmakus. Although most aren't terribly anxious for Vista to be launched, I myself am eagerly awaiting it's arrival for a number of reasons.Firstly, I have a 64 bit processor and can't wait for the features and functionality of Vista to really show my AMD 64 3400+ off. I am assuming that those that are in no hurry for Vista to appear still have 32 bit (most likely Intel) processors still although I could be wrong.Secondly, Win XP was launched in 2000. That's 6 years ago and since then there have been considerable advances in technology that XP simply does not address.Thirdly, otmakus is absolutely correct when he sites that SP3 for XP has been pushed back. From the beginning Vista has been treated as a secondclass citizen. When did they start talking about Longhorn? 2000? 2001? I understand the reasoning by Microsoft to take the long and slow road on this one. (a) They wanted a more widespread adoption of the 64 bit platform by consumers to be in place and (b) they wanted a next generation OS in place that they could keep for approximately 10 years.I don't mind a further delay myself as I have XP 64bit...however...here is something that none here have considered.What of the businesses that purchased licenses of Win XP with Software Assurance in place (for those that don't know, SA is an additional cost on the license but in ensures a "free" upgrade to the next version of that software should one be release in the 3 year time frame that it covers)?In some ways this has been a con game by Microsoft.Win 95, Win 98, Win 2000 and Win XP. There was not even 3 years inbetween each of these releases. So, paying 30% more for your license of XP seemed reasonable in order to get the next version of the OS.However, now it has been 6 years....so ALOT of companies are out of luck as there is no next OS to be had.Congrats MS. You got money for nothing and your chicks for free.
mentaljedi said:
Cartz said:
[b]Originally posted by mentaljedi:[/b][quote]buttus, i know what you mean. Makes no sense does it? I think they're delaying it so that hardware can catch up but thats just my opinion...[/quote]I tend to agree, until the last year or so (64 bit chips, dual core designs) there really hadn't been anything exciting at all emerge on the hardware front. Sure, things got faster, but there was nothing that really deserved the development of a new OS...If there had been a release in 2003, what could it have possibly improved on over XP? I was still using the same hardware I used in 2000... So were most people. I for one, was upset when I paid to update to Windows98, as it was essentially just Windows95 with some new functionality. If they had made an XP03 it would have been the same thing. If I'm going to dump $400CAD on an operating system, I want it to be a very significant improvement (in every area) over what I've been using previously.
nathanskywalker said:
[quote]buttus, i know what you mean. Makes no sense does it? I think they're delaying it so that hardware can catch up but thats just my opinion...[/quote]yes, i'm inclined to agree. It is possible that part of the reason they have not let vista out yet is that not enough people have the hardware to efficently utilize vista's new features. Of, course, the beta has been released...[url]http://www.informationweek.com/software/show
rticle.jhtml?articleID=177104847[/url]So mabye you could ask one of those lucky few who have already had a go at vista. And of course, quality and security are also in question, but if that's all....a little less quality is fine with me, but it would be nice if vista could go without being hacked the day it comes out.
fury said:
[b]Originally posted by buttus:[/b][quote]Win 95, Win 98, Win 2000 and Win XP. There was not even 3 years inbetween each of these releases. So, paying 30% more for your license of XP seemed reasonable in order to get the next version of the OS.[/quote]Before Win95 was Windows 3.x, first appearing in 1990. Having been almost 4.5 years since XP first hit the store shelves, I am not the least bit surprised that Vista is taking this long. 95 was the first major shakedown of the Windows system and interface ever. From what I have seen in preview videos over at Channel 9, Vista is the second major shakedown of Windows. Thus, it will take an appropriately long amount of time before it is ready to put onto consumer computers.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by nathanskywalker:[/b][quote]It is possible that part of the reason they have not let vista out yet is that not enough people have the hardware to efficently utilize vista's new features. Of, course, the beta has been released...[/quote]Funny, but in the old times software was made to take everything possible out of (old) hardware, not the other way around. Remember what good coders managed to run on C64 and Amiga? Fortunately there are a small number of people who can do same stuff even today, just not on the OS sector.
nic said:
Hardware availability has nothing to do with the delays. Vista apparently runs faster than XP, provided you are willing to forego the 'Aero' accelerated desktop. The reason for the delays is simply that the code isn't ready yet, and this is the reason why features have been dropped from the product. There are no more features to drop, so any further delays will result in late delivery.